Author Topic: Thomas Rees and Martha Williams.  (Read 1574 times)

Offline corinthian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Rees and Martha Williams.
« on: Sunday 09 July 17 07:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to trace any siblings of David Rees, born 08/12/1805, in Milford, Steynton, Pembrokeshire. I believe his parents were Thomas Rees, a labourer & Martha Williams, who married 15/11/1804 in Steynton, Pembrokeshire.

In 1841 Thomas & Martha are living in Third St, (later named Back St & then Robert St), Steynton, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire. Living with them is daughter-in-law, Mary Ann Rees, an Esther (or Hester) Rees, aged 26 & John Rees aged, aged 5.

Mary Ann Rees was married to their son, David, a mariner, who was, presumably, out on the seas somewhere and I did originally assume that Esther was a daughter of Thomas & Martha, (although there is a big gap between David born in 1805 & Esther not until 1815/1816), but now suspect that she may have been another daughter-in-law. It is not recorded if Esther is widowed, married or single. I also made the assumption that John was a son of David & Mary Ann but now believe him to be a son of Esther's.

I have traced a widowed Esther Reese, who in the 1851 census, is aged 33, living with son, John, aged 16, a Blacksmith and daughter, Martha, aged 2 months. Esther is now a lodging house keeper & the family are living in Back Street, Steynton. I have been unable to trace any further records of the family after this with any certainty.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Regards

Coreen   

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Rees and Martha Williams.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 July 17 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
The birth registration which I presume is Martha Rees June 1851 Pembroke gives her mother's maiden name as Nicholas.
On-line trees has John born 14 April 1835 s of John (1815-1850) and Esther Rees married Sarah Snook 1871 Lewisham and emigrating to Salt Lake City where he died 28.6.1891 (his death record gives parents John and Esther Rees).
I can only see the 1871 census in London ,marriage registration and his death record to back this up.

Ciderdrinker

Offline corinthian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Rees and Martha Williams.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker,

Thanks for that.

I'm doing a bit more research on that John Rees now. It could be the correct person. It's a pity that neither John or any other members of his family are traceable in the 1861 census. I may order the marriage cert for John & Sarah Snook, which took place in 1857, as the full image doesn't appear to be available on-line. The only thing that throws me is that via the 1871 census John is recorded as being born in Swansea not Milton, Steynton but I suppose this could be an error.  He is recorded as being a blacksmith in 1871, which would tie up with the records in the 1851 census.

I think it unlikely that father, John, is the John Rees baptised in Glamorganshire on 02/04/1815, as found on on-line trees. Although the parents are recorded as Thomas & Martha I think the correct John would have been older, (his parents married in 1804 & his brother, David, was born in 1805), & that he would have been baptised nearer his place of birth.

Thanks for your input. It's really appreciated.

Regards

Coreen