Author Topic: 37322 Pte Frederick Percy Clark, Royal Berkshire Regiment  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Brewmaster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
37322 Pte Frederick Percy Clark, Royal Berkshire Regiment
« on: Sunday 09 July 17 10:30 BST (UK) »
I am researching the military career of my maternal uncle, who was killed on 21st March 1918 near Saint Quentin, while serving with the Royal Berkshire's 8th battalion. After serving for 9 months in the Berkshire Yeomanry, he was initially drafted into the 2nd battalion in September 1916, where he was wounded shortly afterwards.
His service records were destroyed during World War II, and the only record I can find of his wounding is the attached from thegenealogist.com. As I don't subscribe to their Diamond account, does anyone have any idea what this record could be?

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 37322 Pte Frederick Percy Clark, Royal Berkshire Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 July 17 10:47 BST (UK) »
It will no doubt be the casualty list printed in a number of newspapers till 1917 info here http://www.researchingww1.co.uk/ww1-casualty-lists and here http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/casualty-lists-from-the-genealogist/.  As far as I am aware , The Genealogist is the only other site that has them collated (for a sub!)**

Have you looked at the war diaries for each battalion, they will at least give an idea of the action he was most likely involved in, even if they don't mention him by name.

maxD

** FindMyPast has a number of the lists published in some newspapers, slow work trawling though!
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Brewmaster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 July 17 11:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your advice. I have trawled through the microfilm copies of The Windsor, Eton and Slough Express for October 1916 onwards in Slough library, but can find no entry for my uncle. I certainly cannot afford The Genealogist's Diamond subscription!

I have also investigated the 2nd Bn's War Diary and have come to the conclusion that my uncle was almost certainly wounded in the attack on Le Transloy on 23 October 1916, in which the battalion suffered nearly 200 casualties. Unfortunately, only the names of officers are given.

I shall take your advice and try The Times Digital Archive.

Roy.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 July 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
Have a look here too maybe, you can get 3 free articles
http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

I could not see him but it did offer up names of other pte wounded or killed so maybe you can do better than me?
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 July 17 12:22 BST (UK) »
Sent you a PM as not sure what I can put on line

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 July 17 12:43 BST (UK) »
Comberton - It would be of interest to those of us who have contributed if you would, without mentioning your source, kindly indicate in the public part of the forum what you had found. 
maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 July 17 12:57 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately what I found only included the information since posted about the listings in the newspapers, no further personal information except the daily list date of 1st December 1916.

Offline Brewmaster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 July 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
I am grateful to Comberton for sending me a message with these details. The Daily List date of 1 December 1916 ties in with a reply I received in answer to a similar enquiry on The Great War Forum:

'It appears that his 'Home Town of Enlistment' was Horton and he's on the Daily List of 1/12/1916. Normally I say 3-4 weeks from injury to appearing on the list, so 28th Oct seems good enough.'

Comberton mentions: 'Source
Daily Casualty Lists Reported In Newspapers, Originally From His Majesty's Stationery Office'

If I can't find anything in the newspapers, presumably the HMSO have archives and they are at Kew ?

Roy.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 July 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
There are no relevant HMSO records at Kew. 

While the guidance implies that the full list was published in the Times, the Irish Times and the Scotsman, I find that the Scotsman, which I can see via another sub site, has only summaries of the numbers, details of Scottish soldiers and a random scattering of others.

It would I think be understandable that a local newspaper might miss a relevant name, have you been able to see the Times list?  Is your informant on the GWF not able to send you, perhaps privately, a copy of the document from which he/she has extracted the information?

In any event, the information you now have is all there is, the lists did not detail places and exact dates although I do understand your desire to see the record.

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk