Author Topic: Translation from French please - Thomas Rimmer - Citation for Croix de Guerre  (Read 1404 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Translation from French please - Thomas Rimmer - Citation for Croix de Guerre
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 July 17 16:28 BST (UK) »
A Mention in Despatches published November 1944 is this him also?https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/36783/supplement/5088

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Translation from French please - Thomas Rimmer - Citation for Croix de Guerre
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 July 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
Wow, It must be.  Thanks for that find.  I wonder what the C/MX.9955 is all about.  Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 July 17 17:27 BST (UK) »
It is his official service number.  C/ for Chatham his home base MX indicating his branch (in his case Motor Mechanic)

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 July 17 18:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much MaxD,

I realise that this isn't on the Military Board, but wonder if you have any thought about when this incident would have been?  Would it be from the D Day Landing?

It's very sad that his Dad died 6 Jan 1944 only aged 57 and his Mum was to die only 18 months later on 28 June 1946 aged 59.  Their youngest child (still living) would have been about 3.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 July 17 19:30 BST (UK) »
The MID award was one of those given for "For distinguished services in operations, carried out in the face of determined opposition from the enemy, which led to the capture of the Island of Elba".(London Gazette).  Outline of  the operation here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Elba.  There is lots more if you search "Invasion of Elba 1944". (

Can't find the LG entry for the Croix de Guerre but the LCI(L) 132 refers to the vessel he was on Landing Craft Infantry (Large) http://www.militaryfactory.com/ships/detail.asp?ship_id=landing-craft-infantry-large-lci-amphibious-assault-ship-united-states and full detail here.
http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/15/150132.htm  As the archive says the vessel was lost in June 1944 it could well be that the Croix de Guerre citation is describing his bravery during the last moments of the vessel, presumably during the Elba invasion which was an operation led by France.  The Wiki article refers to LCIs being hit.  It may be that more detailed histories will confirm the identity of the vessels lost during that invasion.

maxD

LCI (L) 132 lost Jun 17 1944 (Naval history)

More detail here
https://www.combinedops.com/Elba%20-%20Op%20Brassard.htm  The reference to native troops will refer to the (French) Moroccan troops being carried.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 July 17 20:12 BST (UK) »
Fantastic.  I look forward to reading everything you have provided.

Kit

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 July 17 09:31 BST (UK) »
Kit

I have to say first that there is no doubting that the French document and the 1944 MID both refer to the bravery shown by your uncle during Op Brassard.

I must though record my doubt that the French document is an award of the Croix de Guerre but rather is the citation passed from the French authorities to the British which resulted in the award of the MID.
The Croix de Guerre with Palm is the equivalent of an MID at Army level and fits this case as the op was led by the French Army.  It is unusual for citations for MIDs to surface and your uncle is lucky indeed to have received the document.

I base my thoughts on the lack of a London Gazette entry or of any sign of a record referring to a Croix de Guerre at the National Archives.  There is also no mention in the Op Brassard history of French awards.  However, there is a National Archive document which may shed further light if you felt inclined to chase this further. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4850924

Feel free to ignore this, whether he got the medal or not, his part in the operation has clearly and correctly been recognised

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 July 17 09:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your thoughts MaxD.  As I mentioned earlier, I never actually saw a medal and the document does say it's a 'Citation'.  Nice thing to have anyway.

Kit

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 July 17 11:41 BST (UK) »
Even if he did not receive the Croix de Guerre. He would have received an oak leaf with his second war medal to show the MID.
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk