Author Topic: Who were the fathers of Caroline and Matilda TANSLEY's daughters?  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Who were the fathers of Caroline and Matilda TANSLEY's daughters?
« on: Sunday 09 July 17 13:41 BST (UK) »
Here is a conundrum which is defying resolution. Caroline TANSLEY actually married Jeffrey BINLEY in Cottingham on April 2nd 1865. The couple had 6 known children.

Caroline had given birth to a daughter in April 1862 - just a year after she had been in service at a vicarage in Corby. She named the child Clara Elizabeth.

Caroline's sister, Matilda, was in service in the same place at the time of the 1861, She had given birth to a daughter in September 1858 that she married Ann Elizabeth.  Matilda went on to marry Lewis BINLEY, Jeffrey's brother in 1862.

Both little girls were placed with their maternal grandparents David TANSLEY and ELIzabeth PEACH (both bearing the TANSLEY surname) in the 1871 census.

The paradox is that although there is no evidence that either of the girls had been married before their marriage to the BINLEY brothers, I have copies of the birth certificates of both of the little girls and both declare a father. Clara Elizabeth's father is declared as George GOODWIN, railway porter; Ann Elizabeth's father is declared as John Thomas Darker, apprentice labourer.

I have been unable to discover either of these individuals in the area censuses or in the BMD lists.

Any thoughts?

Regards - Alan   
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Who were the fathers of Caroline and Matilda TANSLEY's daughters?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 July 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a baptism in Rockingham Northamptonshire of a John Thomas Darker

06 Mar 1835 - John Thomas son of John & Sarah Darker.

A burial of a John Thomas Darker in Stamford, Lincolnshire - buried 27 July 1882 aged 46 ( born c1835) Abode: Gretton.

1851 census - with parents in Rockingham 20 years old and an Ag lab ( found as John T Darker)

1861 a lodger in Hulme, Lancashire, found as (John T Darker aged 26bn Northamptonshire)

1871 with a wife Alice and stepdaughter Felicia who had took his name. Found as John Thos. Darker aged 36 Gretton, Northapmtonshire

1881 He is in Gretton Northamptonshire and lists him as coming from Rockingham and was 45 years old. He was lodging with a Frederick Coles and family.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 July 17 16:05 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that.

I haven't been able to confirm where Matilda Tansley crossed paths with John Thomas Darker. It looks as if his parents: John  Darker and Sarah Langley (of Gretton) were married in 1816 and produced a large family - of which JT was towards the end.

Your mention of Frederick Coles is of interest. My own is a kinship research which involves study of inter-marriage between families and neighbours. Althouogh less than 8 miles apart there isn't a huge crossover between Gretton and Cottingham. That being said, Caroline Tansley (the two girls mother) is Frederick Coles' 1st cousin's wife's 1st cousin once removed's wife's aunt!!  The surname chain goes from Coles -> Foster -> Waterfield -> Claypole -> Tansley

The other thing I noticed from the 1881 census is that he is declared unmarried!

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 July 17 16:34 BST (UK) »
Not having much luck with a George Goodwin. I can see two in the census

Both probably too old, but never say never. Neither a railway porter.

One in Corby, the other in Cottingham.

The man in Cottingham, married to a Rebecca, has numerous children, various occupations, harness maker, tanner, publican. Dies in 1866

The other in Corby a farmer - not born in county. ( only spotted him in 1841)
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 July 17 16:46 BST (UK) »

Caroline's sister, Matilda, was in service in the same place at the time of the 1861,

Not really relevant to tracing the putative fathers but it was Caroline's sister Martha Ann in service at the same place in 1861, Matilda was with her parents and daughter Ann. Presumably Lewis is Matilda's illeg son with Lewis Binley?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 July 17 17:05 BST (UK) »
The only George Goodwin I can find is in London, his occupation just says Porter not railway porter, so he could work anywhere that needed stuff carrying - such as markets
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 July 17 18:02 BST (UK) »
My mistake: Martha was in service at the Parsonage at Corby the same time as Caroline. Martha was the oldest sister.

Matilda had two illegilimate children - the one in this thread to JT Darker and another, presumably accepted as his, prior to the marriage to Lewis Binley

As it happens Martha married John White in the village in 1863 but she had had an illegitimate son she named Thomas Middleton Tansley in 1858 who died in infancy.

Is it true that de riguer girls should have a child before marriage to prove themselves fertile?

As it happens it is very difficult to keep up with the Tansley family. Benjamin Tansley got his girlfriend pregnant and married her when she was six months pregnant. She suffered a massive haemorrhage during childbirth and both she and the baby died.

It appears that  third son Alfred worked his way through three wives in his time.

Cheers Alan

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 July 17 09:19 BST (UK) »
Matilda Tansley is mentioned in the Sessions for Summons issued for Bastardy Cases at
Kettering 27 Oct 1858 reputed father John Thomas Darker-order made.

She was also mentioned at Kettering on the 12 June 1861 reputed father Lewis Binley- order was made.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 July 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
As it happens Martha married John White in the village in 1863 but she had had an illegitimate son she named Thomas Middleton Tansley in 1858 who died in infancy.

At the same time as Matilda a Mary Ann? had a summons again Thomas Middleton (jur) in
1858 order made.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright