Author Topic: Two baptisms  (Read 606 times)

Offline Craftyp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Two baptisms
« on: Sunday 09 July 17 16:13 BST (UK) »
Has anybody ever come across a person in their tree who is baptised at birth and then about twenty years later is baptised again?  I have for a number of years wondered where my 6th gt. grandfather came from as he was baptised at the age of approximately 21yrs and today have found a baptism in a village next to where he finally lived and the year would be when he was born.  I am sure it is him but cannot prove it.  Does anybody know why (if it is him) he would be baptised twice  the second time being so much later.

CraftyP

Online Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Two baptisms
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 July 17 18:12 BST (UK) »

Hi,

I have an ancestor who was baptised as a baby in the local parish church then again as an adult into the Methodist faith. She then married and all her children were baptised as Methodists.

Maybe he changed his faith?

Regards,
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 July 17 19:49 BST (UK) »
Was the adult baptism shortly before he married?
Some vicars were strict about only marrying people who had been baptised.

If he didn't know whether he had been baptised as a baby, he could have been done again to be sure
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Craftyp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 18:43 BST (UK) »
Both churches were C of E and he was an adult in the second church and about to get married.  I believe the same person was baptised in both churches although it seems odd that the village and town were only a couple of miles apart that is why I wonder whether I am correct or not.  I think I will accept that they are the same person and for some reason or other he chose to be baptised again. Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply.

CraftyP