Author Topic: Kiltarlity  (Read 4138 times)

Offline HmmS336

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kiltarlity
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 July 17 09:42 BST (UK) »
1855 is when daughter Ann was born https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYGJ-NXS (btw, the cert you have is for a statutory birth not a baptism).

Which of their children are you connected to?

Monica

My mistake - I meant ScotlandsPeople entry.   

I now think there are mistakes galore in this part of the tree - due to the huge number of similar names of similar age, living in Inverness and surrounding area.  Of course it is possible that the census entries I thought were them may not be.  The death I initially had for Rebecca Chisholm was also widowed to an Alexander Chisholm - with age in the right area you would not look further would you!!!??? 

Especially, as Rebeccas  in the correct entry is 64yo in 1897 - the census that I assume correct has her at 65yo in 1891.  (Hence going with the older widow who died some years later)

I need to re check everything on the lives of Rebecca and Alexander, I have that possible birth in notes, I think I then found the wrong marriage so thought the birth was wrong.  Yikes!  I must  go back and start again!!!

So with Scottish naming pattern if the first born is Hugh - who was he named after?

I have eight children for the family, if correct  and I am from Hugh.

Oh, Rosinish - where are your Bowies from?  I have a connection with Nairn?

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 July 17 21:46 BST (UK) »
Sounds like you are on the right track.

There is another couple showing in the censuses, Alexander and Barbara Fraser living in Kirkhill. From 1861:

Alexander Fraser 46 general lab b. Kirkhill
Rebeca Fraser 40 b. Kitarlity
Betty Fraser 16
Jessie Fraser 14
Ann Fraser 12
John Fraser 10
Christina Fraser 6
John Fraser 2

Address: Millifiach, Kirkhill, Inverness

Can't make out from the FS birth index what the maiden name of the mother Rebecca may be :-\

At the same time, you have the family with Hugh in 1861 (you have this but just for more info here):

Alexander Fraser 36 agr lab b. Kitarlity
Rebecca Fraser 31 b. Kitarlity
Hugh Fraser 10
James Fraser 7
Annie Fraser 5
Alexander Fraser 2
John Fraser 4 Months

Address: Private House, Kilmorack, Inverness

If you check one of the birth certs from children born in the 1860s, these should include date and place of parents' marriage. This info was re introduced on birth certs from early 1860s. This would let you reconfirm details on marriage, although it looks like Ev has found a reference to it already (either banns or the actual marriage).

Mary 1863 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYR7-N4C
Isabella Eliza 1865 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYR7-FYV
Rebecca Chisholm 1868 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYPJ-BGQ

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 July 17 22:06 BST (UK) »
Did you view and discount this death for an Alexander?

Alexander FRASER, 60, 1891 ref 101/ 21 in Kitarlity

Also this one:

Alexander FRASER, 63, 1893 ref 098/ 477 in Inverness

Monica

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 July 17 23:46 BST (UK) »
Oh, Rosinish - where are your Bowies from?  I have a connection with Nairn?

South Uist, Inverness-shire (atm) as I have no marriage nor baptism for my Flora Bowie!

Born c1770 married to Neil MacIntyre b c1770 no death dates & never likely to find them  ::)

Their children were all born (I assume) South Uist?

Their daughter Ann (possibly eldest of 3 children that I am almost certain of) was my 3 x g g/mother who was b c1786 - 1792 & died 1876 South Uist.

Sorry....that's all I know although I have the descendants of Ann's brother Donald who died 1855 South Uist & descendants of a likely sister Mary who died c1851 - 1855.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline HmmS336

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 21:06 BST (UK) »
Monica,  that was the death I had thought to be my Rebecca Fraser - she died at Millifiach.  Her parents were John Chisholm and Janet Fraser!  Hence why I thought this to be 'My Rebecca'!  It was also their marriage I had first but could not understand the huge gap till Hugh was born - 10 years! 

So the birth of Rebecca Chisholm Fraser in 1868 - shows the marriage to be Kiltarlity on January 12th 1850? I shall attach it.  So does not quite match with either Ev's family search entry or the 1855 birth cert of Ann? Do you think its the FS one?

You live and learn!

I have paid for 6 certs of Alexander :'( (neither of those though) in my search but think that the one here is the correct one , 1897 at Shore Street but will do some checks first. 

Out of interest - can one cross check the family search references at Scotlands People?  There were 3 Mary Frasers born in Kiltarlity in 1863 - thankfully the other two names are single entries.  I was just wondering? The joys of tracing my Frasers!

Thank you once again.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 21:24 BST (UK) »
Sadly you cannot cross reference entries on the FS index and those from SP as there is no releationship between them...wish we could!

Let us know how you get on  :)

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 21:32 BST (UK) »

So the birth of Rebecca Chisholm Fraser in 1868 - shows the marriage to be Kiltarlity on January 12th 1850? I shall attach it.  So does not quite match with either Ev's family search entry or the 1855 birth cert of Ann? Do you think its the FS one?

Sometimes the marriage date showing on birth certs can be inaccurate. You could check other birth certs but I would say that Ev's entry from earlier is likely to be the one https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT5Z-682

I have now found the maiden name of other Rebecca who married an Alexander Fraser from her marriage showing on SP: Rebecca CHISHOLM and Alexr. FRASER 24/12/1841 ref 103/20 127 in Kirkhill. This would be the Rebecca that you first found a death entry for at Millifiach given this is where that family were living in later years.

Would be good if you found the correct Alexander Fraser's death between 1891-97 to help you move back with more confidence.

Monica

Offline HmmS336

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 22:48 BST (UK) »
Well a wee update - I think I have the year and I thought it was Inverness but there are now no unpaid for 'possibles' I should have waited until I hear back, I was just  too keen. ::)

I got this from the Am baile site - i have asked for the article- the last time I used it - it took a few days so I will just have to bide my time!!!

Abstract:  Fraser, Alexander, contractor, 30 Castle Street, Inverness
Newspaper: Scottish Highlander
Publication Date: Thursday 18 May, 1893
Page/Column Ref.: 1A
Subject: People > Deaths
Article ID: 70709

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 12:16 BST (UK) »
And so it is! He died from congestion of the lungs and death reported by his son Alexander. Age a little out... Bad news though...son did not know the names of his paternal grandparents  :-\