Author Topic: South Wales Borderers 3rd Battalion Monmouth  (Read 552 times)

Offline DeborahC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
South Wales Borderers 3rd Battalion Monmouth
« on: Sunday 09 July 17 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

A bit puzzled and I was hoping someone could shed some light. We have recently found a Militia attestation doc (WO96) for my GG Grandfather. It is dated 1892 and states that he is signing up to the SWB 3rd Battalion Monmouths for 6 years. However I know he married and had his first child in 1895. I can't seem to find anything else for him or any info about this particular battalion. The number detailed at the top of the page is 4521 - would this be his service number?

Robert Henry Griffiths - DOB abt 1874 Swansea - was living in Bedwellty at the time enlistment.

Thanks,

Deborah

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South Wales Borderers 3rd Battalion Monmouth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 July 17 21:49 BST (UK) »
3521 was indeed his service number.  The 3rd Battalion, like almost all 3rd Battalions at the time was a militia ie a part time unit so his commitment was to an occasional drill and an annual camp while he carried on his civilian life.  He joined in 1892 but appears not to have turned up in 1893 or later, effectively dropping out.  He would have been recalled for full time service if the militia had been embodied during the six years following 1892.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia