Author Topic: Glenholm  (Read 1937 times)

Offline nazchk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glenholm
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 19:26 BST (UK) »
  Hello again. The Stobo link is one I hadn't came across so thankyou for that. Marion was married to John Hay in 1884, at Biggar. Janet Boa is listed as her mother. No fathers name listed. She was divorced in 1892. Marion then married Patrick Connelly in 1898. She is recorded as widow. Again only her mothers name is there. However, when Marion died in 1930, her parents are recorded as John Wilson and Janet Wilson m/s Boa. I've never managed to find a marriage cert for Janet. I did find her in the Poor Relief records in the Mitchell Library.  In 1899, she was claiming poor relief. She had a son John, age 47, and Marion, by then married to Pat, and another son, William, age 37. William later changed his surname to Steele. The records also say Janet was illegitimate and her mothers name was Mary. ( assume Boa )  Janet was sent to Peebles poorhouse and died there in 1902. On the entry in the poor records Janets place of birth is given as Bellspool, Biggar, but census records show Drumelzier.

Offline nazchk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 19:30 BST (UK) »
Just had a closer look at the 1871 entry. Janet is 33? yet she was 40 in 1861? Either she's knocked 10 years off her age or maybe this Janet is an aunt?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 21:04 BST (UK) »
Just had a closer look at the 1871 entry. Janet is 33? yet she was 40 in 1861? Either she's knocked 10 years off her age or maybe this Janet is an aunt?
Are you looking at transcriptions or original images?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline nazchk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 23:14 BST (UK) »
No, I was looking at the details posted by Rosinish. I think they might be from census?