Author Topic: Margaret Jane Evans b c 1889 Barmouth  (Read 10310 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Jane Evans b c 1889 Barmouth
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 July 17 14:40 BST (UK) »
There was only one Evan Anwyl Evans born in 1900 - mmn Anwyl - but he is on the 1901 census in Penrhyndeudraeth, Merionethshire with his full name:

Robert Evans   37      Carrier       born Beddgelert, Caernarvonshire
Mary Evans 33                            born Anglesey
Evan Anwyl Evans 1                    born Harlech, Merionethshire
Elizabeth Jones  60   relative
(on Ancestry Evan's second name transcribed as Annie but clearly Anwyl on original page)

I note that a Catherine Evans bc.1858 died in June quarter 1900 Festiniog (same quarter Evan Anwyl Evans born) and a Robert Evans married a Mary Jones in Dec.qtr.1900 Festiniog.   

Looks like with a young baby to raise Robert Evans remarried pretty swiftly, and who can blame him.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 July 17 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Annette,

Thank you very much for this, it is really useful information for me. I think this must be his 3rd marriage, he certainly did not hang around long after his first 2 wives died!

I still haven't found Catherine's father, Evan Anwyl, yet, but working on that now.

Thank you so much for this Annette.

Best wishes

Stephen
Turner - Caernarvonshire, Denbigshire, Merionethshire, Shropshire & Staffordshire
Craig - Glasgow and Co. Antrim
Evans - Merionethshire & Caernarvonshire
Williams - Caernarvonshire & Merionethshire
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 July 17 15:39 BST (UK) »
You probably already have this but will mention anyway:

1861 Census - Llanbedr, Merionethshire

Jane Anwyl   31      Mariners wife       born Llanddwyn, Merionethshire
Margaret Anwyl  5                             born Llanbedr
Catharine Anwyl 4                                  ditto

Catherine Anwyl birth reg'd Mar.1857 Festiniog shows, on GRO site, mmn Wynn

Evan Anwyl married a Jane Wynne June quarter 1852 Festiniog.

Annette

London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 July 17 15:52 BST (UK) »
Found Mate's certificate on Ancestry - this was renewed on 19/6/1877 so Evan Anwyl still alive then.
He is shown to have been born 14/5/1825 or 1826 in Harlech, Merionethshire - quite possible he may have died at sea.

Think his wife Jane died Sept.qtr.1879 Festiniog.

Annette
London -  Monk

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 July 17 15:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Annette, that is really helpful. I will add these to my order on GRO that I am preparing. I really do appreciate your help.

Best wishes

Stephen
Turner - Caernarvonshire, Denbigshire, Merionethshire, Shropshire & Staffordshire
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 September 17 13:49 BST (UK) »
An update and thanks to Annette.

I received the death certificate for Catherine Evans (nee ANWYL). She died on 1st June 1900 at Llechwedd, Llandanwg. Robert Evans, her husband, registered the death.

I then obtained the marriage certificate for Robert's marriage to his 3rd wife, Mary Jones. They married at Festiniog Registery Office on 8th October 1900, so only 4 month's after Catherine's death. As you had said Annette, he must have been keen to have help bringing up his young children.

Mary Jones is recorded as a spinster, her father was Edward Jones, deceased, who was a Police Constable. I know from the 1901 census that she was born in Anglesey, so I will try and track her family back through the 1891, 1881 and 1871 census records.   

Thank you for getting me on the right track.
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 21:30 GMT (UK) »
As an addition to the above, I have been continuing to look for Griffith Anwyl. He was born on the 12th January 1885 in Llangelynin. As seen in the earlier posts, his mother Catherine Anwyl was unmarried when she registered his birth and no father is listed on the birth certificate.

Catherine subsequently married a Robert Evans and Griffith was with him and his mother Catherine in Barmouth at the 1891 Census.

I then found him in the 1911 Census in Oldham. He was with his wife Kate and a boarder called John Evans. His occupation was a general labourer.

He subsequently emigrated to Canada. I found his death record which gives his birth date as 12th January 1885, which is correct, he died in 1946.

Where I need help is a possible clue to who his father could be. The death record states his father's surname was Anwyl, with christian name not listed. I took a look at the wedding certificate for Griffith when it arrived today and it lists his father as a Griffith Anwyl (deceased). I cannot however read the father's occupation. It is something Journeyman. Please see the image attached.

I am wondering if he listed a Griffith Anwyl as the name of his father at the time of his wedding because he did not want to leave it blank (if he genuinely did not know the name of his father), or whether a Griffith Anwyl actually existed. But it seems a long shot that he had a child to a Catherine Anwyl, who was unmarried.

If I can find the trade it would give me options when searching for a Griffith Anwyl in Merionethshire. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you all

I ordered the wedding certificate and found that he married a Kate Williams at the Welsh Chapel in Oldham on the 6th August 1910.
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow