Author Topic: JAMAICA, Kingston - 1841 - Death of Henry BATTEN  (Read 941 times)

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JAMAICA, Kingston - 1841 - Death of Henry BATTEN
« on: Tuesday 11 July 17 00:19 BST (UK) »
Henry Batten is the last of my large  Batten family from Leadenhall Market, London left for me to finalise a few details.

Henry Batten was born 12 April 1824 London, bpt. 17 Nov. 1824, All Hallows, son of William Batten, Cheesemonger and Norah.

There is a record among London Church Records (can't remember exactly where now as it is some years since I located it) of his death on 3 July 1841 at Kingston, Jamaica and he is described as a Bachelor, and a Seaman in the Merchant Service.

I have searched (with no luck) Death Details for Kingston etc. as I would like to know the cause of death to enter into my records. Often on Rootschat, people have come up with sites I have not found which have had  the answers for my queries.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction for Henry Batten's Death Entry?

Grateful for any suggestions.
Faith

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kingston, Jamaica - 1841 - Death of Henry Batten
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 03:56 BST (UK) »
Doesn't the GRO have a section for events of "British subjects abroad" ?
(Not sure of the exact name)

Records in Jamaica, especially in that era, are especially difficult to find, I discovered a long time ago.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
Re: Kingston, Jamaica - 1841 - Death of Henry Batten
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
I don't know what's on this site but just in case: http://www.jamaicanfamilysearch.com/.

And I guess you've seen this: http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/tutorials/overseas/jamaican-records
Sillitoe, Froude, Partington, Rochford

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: JAMAICA, Kingston - 1841 - Death of Henry BATTEN
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 12:51 BST (UK) »
Barrie

You posted on this topic some 6 years ago http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=527372.0

"This information was given when his father's estate, (William Batten) in Leadenhall Market, London was wound up many years later."
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 23:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Billyblue, Aks and Shaun J, I'm grateful for your suggestions and will work on those.
Yes, I did post on the same subject some years ago with no luck. Ever hopeful, I am trying again in case other sites have since come on line.
Faith

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 July 17 08:46 BST (UK) »
It's odd that there is nothing in the Merchant Navy records for him, and nothing in the Deaths at Sea register.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 July 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you ShaunJ, I don't feel quite so hopeless now regarding my lack of results! Perhaps some things are just not meant to be found!

I have really appreciated your expertise as you  brought an end to the recent John Browne Smith query of mine - (Devon, Eng., South Australia) - the 'crook' solicitor who coincidently was the bro-in-law of this  Seaman, Henry Batten! Most of those 11 Batten children have lead me a merry dance across the world!

Grateful for your help.
Faith