Poll

Harcourt Leonard Hartnett birth date and place and his birth parent/parents?

Harcourt Leonard Hartnett birth date and place?
0 (0%)
Harcourt Leonard Hartnett birth parents/mother?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Harcourt Leonard Hartnett  (Read 4033 times)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harcourt Leonard Hartnett
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 13:21 BST (UK) »
https://postimg.cc/image/fcvwhc4l7/

In memoriam for Agnes states that Nelson is the only son:

HARTNETT - In fond memory of our dear mother, who died at Mosman, June 28, 1907. Sadly missed
by her loving children, May, Myrtle, Amber, and only son, Nelson.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/15519262

It seems likely that Leonard/Harcourt came into the family either just prior to Agnes's last pregnancy or after William Edward's remarriage to Elizabeth.  It has also been suggested that he could have been the son of one of the daughters.

Debra  :)

Offline Trassoci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 21:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you. That is fantastic information. I would go further and suggest that it is possible that Myrtle may be Harcourts mother. I will keep digging.

Offline Trassoci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 23:50 BST (UK) »
Further, my mother, Harcourt’s daughter, Monica Lillian has told me that she always thought/suspected that Harcourt was the daughter of one of the girls. Further, my mother had always been told that her middle name, (Lillian) was taken from Myrtles middle name. My mother also thought it odd that Myrtle always called Harcourt, Little Hally and was extremely involved in him.
There is also an argument that Harcourt was actually born in NZ however I have proof of that. We only know that he lied about his age so he could join the Army and that he was born in 1905, and not 1903 as he told the Army.
Of course you don’t have to answer this next question but I am wondering where you fit in this whole interesting episode in History?
Kind Regards
Ian C

Offline Trassoci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 23:52 BST (UK) »
Further, W.E as you say, remarried, but that was in 1912, making Harcourt approx 7 years of age at that time.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 28 June 18 02:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you. That is fantastic information. I would go further and suggest that it is possible that Myrtle may be Harcourts mother. I will keep digging.

It's interesting that you say that - it was suggested as a possibility on this related thread (replies 23, 24 and 25)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=774616.18

Offline Trassoci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 28 June 18 08:57 BST (UK) »
There appears to be a lot of speculation about HLH. I am sure I will never get to type end of it however a few points. There is NO record of Harcourt ever attending Mosman Prep School. According to the school as recent as today, the only Hartnett to attend the school was “Nelson” who attended for just over one month. Dates are 5 April 1914 to 1 May 1914. Although there is no documentation to confirm Harcourts DOB, it has been common knowledge in our family that his real year of birth was 1905. He simply lied by saying 1903 on his enlistment paperwork of which I have a copy.
As far as my mother, Harcourts daughter is concerned, there is little doubt and more likely than not, that Harcourt Leonard Hartnett is the son of Myrtle. It makes perfect sense to my mother as she recalls many conversations for over 70 years with various close family members, the terms of endearment used by close family members etc. In short, my mother has always suspected that Myrtle was her biological grandmother. Whilst there is no documentary evidence to support this, we as a family have no doubts as to the above.