Author Topic: Nellie Chandler, born Lewisham c1902  (Read 2980 times)

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nellie Chandler, born Lewisham c1902
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 16:02 BST (UK) »
I think we can rule out Elizabeth Ann Carrington as being the mother of Nellie.  In 1902 she married Joseph Kernan in Chorlton (Manchester).  That brings us back to Fred or Charlotte.

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 16:32 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage for Frederick
Frederick James Carrington to Florence Ellison 21/12/1912 register office Charlton Manchester
He was a bachelor aged 33 and a sewage labourer. Father James Carrington deceased
Florence was 24 no occupation or father mentioned on certificate
Both living 27 Rusholme Street.
Witnessed by Samuel and Annie Gill 

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 16:58 BST (UK) »
Regarding the census where Nellie age 9 is living with her grandmother, I have noticed that Frederick J is also living there and that his future wife Florence Ellison is a servant in the same household, a big maybe but possible that they are the parents

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 17:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jolee

Apart from Fred shaving six or seven years off his age the rest fits very neatly.  Well-spotted re Florence.

Everything is falling into place .... except for poor Nellie!

BB

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 13 July 17 09:22 BST (UK) »
Good spot with future wife Florence the servant, but she is only 23 and Nellie 9 so rather young to have been her mother.

Fred is of an age to have been married before but says he is single and a bachelor so can only come back to Charlotte being her mother  :-\

Is it possible to contact the owner of the tree that has her as the mother to see if any more info.

Birthplace of Lewisham Kent doesn't seem to fit with anyone either  ???
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 13 July 17 21:06 BST (UK) »
I'm inclined to rule out Fred too.  Florence Ellison gave birth to a daughter, Ada Annie Ellison, in the second quarter of 1912.  No separate mother's maiden name is recorded.  Frederick and Florence married in December 1912.  A son, Frederick, was born to the couple in 1920.  I suspect that Frederick was not the father of Ada, and that the December 1912 marriage was one of mutual support if not convenience.  At least I shall record Ada's father as being 'unknown' on the relevant family tree.  Had Frederick been the father then a much earlier marriage would likely have taken place.

I remain at a loss as to where to go from here, as I cannot see a way of contacting the owner of the published family tree that claims that Nellie is the daughter of Charlotte Howarth.

Many thanks for your help and your thoughts during this search.

BB

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 11:28 BST (UK) »
Given that someone new might come to this post I would just like to summarise where we are at.  We still do not know when and where, and under what names, Nellie Chandler's birth was registered.  We can find just three children for Grandmother Margaret Chandler, and so Nellie would need to be either a Carrington or Howarth (Haworth/Howard).  Contrary to what was stated earlier, Elizabeth Ann Carrington did not marry Joseph Kernan:  that was a different Elizabeth Carrington who, in 1901, was with her family in Booth Street, Manchester.  I have also been advised that Frederick J Carrington was out of the country for some time in 1911-12; on his return Ada Ellison was re-registered under the name Carrington, and a little later in 1912 Frederick married the girl's mother Florence Ellison.  We have located Charlotte Howarth in the 1889 and 1901 censuses, but have Elizabeth A Carrington just for 1891 (Openshaw, Manchester, with an aunt).  Frederick we have for 1881 but not again until 1911.  Thus linking anyone to Kent has not proved possible.

Unless any one can update the above then I suspect that we will be crossing our fingers that an answer will be found in the 1921 Census.

BB

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 19 October 17 13:55 BST (UK) »
Update:  the birth certificate for Charlotte Hannah Howarth (Howard in the register) gives her d.o.b. as 31/12/1884, and her mother as "Margaret Howard late Brownhill formerly Prince".  This information is consistent with our earlier researches.  (Thanks go to GRO for the £6 PDF certificate!)  It doesn't answer my original question re Nellie Chandler but does fill out a little of our understanding.