Author Topic: Trying to find relative of Isabella Haig Stevenson  (Read 12002 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find relative of Isabella Haig Stevenson
« Reply #27 on: Friday 14 July 17 09:13 BST (UK) »
Ok this is from Margaret stevensons death  register

MArgaret Stevenson domestic servant died 15 December 1937  at Wesley cottage gellymill father ?Stevenson farm servant and mother maggie Barron domestic servant (dec) informant Geo grant (brother in law)
Hmmm. Looks as if George Stevenson and Maggie Barron weren't married either.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bellaode

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 14 July 17 11:27 BST (UK) »
That sounds about right my father's half sister between the Union of Isabella Haig Stevenson and John Alexander Mitchell did say things weren't normal back then and not to get upset.

Nothing different to this day and age where people don't marry and have children.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 14 July 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
Yes. For some reason the proportion of illegitimate births varies widely from one county to another. Banffshire had the highest proportion of illegitimate births - IIRC 19% of births in Banffshire in 1855 were out of wedlock. This is quoted in C T Smout's A Century of the Scottish People but I don't have my copy to hand right now. Ross and Cromarty had only 2%.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bellaode

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 14 July 17 11:39 BST (UK) »
I have also done a search on line with deceased on line for the burial of Margaret Stevenson and found that apparently in the same grave is Isabella Stevenson and Margaret Stevenson
Isabella died on the 28th of October 1939 and Margaret Stevenson died on the 17th of December 1937 at the Myrus Cemetery. Grave reference D2/51

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 14 July 17 12:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Forfarian as I have slow mapping skills  :D

"Geo grant (brother in law)"

That's a handy piece of info!

At least we know there was at least one sibling i.e. a marriage & census would be interesting.

How old was Margaret Stevenson who died 15 December 1937?

I did come by Grants in the VRs.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline bellaode

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 14 July 17 12:47 BST (UK) »
According to the death certificate Margaret Stevenson was 40 at the time of her death

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 14 July 17 12:54 BST (UK) »
"Geo grant (brother in law)"
That's a handy piece of info!
It is indeed. So presumably George Grant married a Stevenson or Barron sibling or half-sibling of Margaret Stevenson. The SP index shows Margaret/Maggie as being aged 40 when she died in 1937, so born 1896/1897, almost certainly in 1897 as she died almost at the end of 1937.

A George Lyon Grant married Mary Mitchell Barron in Banff in 1919. I couldn't resist a peek at that marriage, and it says that Mary was the daughter of Maggie Barron, no father listed. She was 23 and her address was Scatterty Cottage, parish of King Edward. So in theory she was born in 1895/1896. The closest match in the index at SP is a Mary Mitchell Barron born 1890 in Chapel of Garioch, Aberdeenshire, which is some distance from Banff/Macduff, and about 5 years out. She could have been registered as plain Mary Barron, and acquired the middle name later.

There are (you won't be surprised to read) more than one Scatterty (or Scattertie). This is the one in the parish of King Edward http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ6957 and on the first edition six-inch map http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=57.6091&lon=-2.5122&layers=5&b=1

If nothing else this thread should have hammered home the message that to research successfully in Scotland you absolutely must know which parish you are looking in, because it's far too easy to find a place with the same or a similar name and assume it's the right one, even though it may be several parishes or even counties away.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 14 July 17 19:36 BST (UK) »
I have found several Duncans that have lived in Gellymill Street Banff through Census but not sure if they are the same.
Isabella Haig Stevenson mother also lived in Gellymill Street Banff too from the information we have seen the death certificate and it too states Wesley Cottage Gellymill."[/color] I've been worrying about this because as far as I know there isn't a Gellymill Street in Banff. The only Gellymill Street I know of is in Macduff. It leads into Gellymill Road which, not surprisingly, leads to Gellymill.

I have also looked at every street name on the twenty-five inch maps, and at a modern street plan of Banff, and none of them shows a Gellymill Street in Banff.

So where did this census come from, and why do you think it shows Gellymill Street in Banff?

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 14 July 17 21:47 BST (UK) »
So, your great, great grandmother, Margaret (Maggie) Walker Barron seems to have had a number of illegitimate children. From what I can see, she was born on 7 July 1870 in Macduff, Banffshire, to Joseph Barron and Mary Reid.

I can find her in the 1871, 1881 and 1891 censuses with her parents in Boyndie, Banffshire. By 1901, she seems to be a patient at the Chalmers Hospital in Banff.

I’ve found five children of Maggie Barron so far, all by different fathers:

• Isabella Raffan Barron, b. 14 Sep 1889, Boyndie - Maggie successfully lodged a paternity suit against the father, George Riddle, farm servant.
  • Alexander Barron, b. 17 Mar 1891 Boyndie - no father named
  • Colin Fraser Barron, b. 20 Sep 1893, Boyndie - father named in following paternity suit as William Cowie, soldier
  • Mary Ann Mitchell Barron, b. 9 Apr 1896, Tarves, Aberdeenshire - father named as John Mitchell, farm servant in following paternity suit
  • Margaret (Maggie) Stevenson, b. 5 Nov 1898, Boyndie - father named on the birth registration as John Stevenson, mason, Inverurie

If this is the correct Margaret Walker Barron, it does beg the question of where your information that Margaret (Maggie) Stevenson's father was George Stevenson came from, as the birth record is clearly John Stevenson... And he wasn't a farm servant, but a mason. Although the father of Maggie's half sister, Isabella was George and he was a farm servant... You can see where there might be confusion, with so many different fathers... ;D

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.