Author Topic: how do you find out whose dna is on a database?  (Read 3373 times)

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: how do you find out whose dna is on a database?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 30 July 17 18:25 BST (UK) »
I have just successfully uploaded my Ancestry dna test to Gedmatch - I it wasn't quite as easy as you said tresario!

Two questions
Do I now upload a tree to Gedmatch?
Can I also upload the test I did at FTDNA? With the same user name or a different one?

Offline tresario

• I have turned off all notifications to all topics
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 19:29 BST (UK) »
I, m sorry it didnt go as well for you. I did that with my uncles test last week. I dont know why yours didnt go as well. I dont know how ftdna does it either sorry, but the site should tell you.
I would be interested in your number for gedmatch to compare with a tree i administer though to see if there is a match with anyone on there please mgeneas
Breen,keenan,Boylan
Caldwell,Thompson,Bell.
Bradshaw,Smith,Waldron

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 05 August 17 05:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for advice Treso

I will try but can't have your instructions in a box while I do it . YouTube would be no good either too fast.

Hopefully someone can help me soon at the computer ...I used my geek time this week sorting out my jobseekers application
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 05 August 17 08:38 BST (UK) »
Can I also upload the test I did at FTDNA? With the same user name or a different one?

Yes you can, but my opinion is that it is inconsiderate to have more than one kit coming up in someone's list of top 1500 matches.  If more than one kit is showing it's bumping another match off the bottom of the list.  You could still upload it but have it there as a "research" kit.

This link explains it how to set up a research kit, and how to decide which kit to have as your main kit

http://blog.kittycooper.com/2016/06/gedmatch-tools-2016/