Author Topic: Thomas Henfrey latin marriage certificate 1728  (Read 643 times)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thomas Henfrey latin marriage certificate 1728
« on: Tuesday 11 July 17 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thomas married Catherine Sketh in Thrussington 1728, there is a part Latin/English document relating to Thomas and Catherine regarding their wedding but I don't understand why it is signed by Thomas and George Cockram, could he be acting as a proxy/adoptive parent for Catherine as she does not sign the document.  I'll post the Latin section as I am scared of falling foul of copyright by posting a full document on here.  I tried to find an online Latin translator but had no luck, if anyone can tell me what it says I'd be very grateful

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Henfrey latin marriage certificate 1728
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 20:29 BST (UK) »
It’s not a marriage certificate, but the ‘obligation’ part of a marriage bond.

There should be a separate record for the marriage itself in the appropriate parish register.

The bond was sworn before an official of the diocese, as part of an application for a licence to marry, without the need for banns to be called. The groom (usually) and a bondsman (friend or relative) would swear that there was no lawful impediment to the marriage, against a penalty of £200 to be paid if the statement was later found to be false.

Here’s a rough translation. It's standard wording, apart from the names, places and date.

Let all men know by these presents that we, Thomas Henfrey of Thrussington in the county of Leicester and George Cockram of Derby in the county of Derby, are held and firmly bound to the Worshipful George Newell, Esquire, in the sum of two hundred pounds of good and lawful money of Great Britain, to be paid to the same George Newell or to his certain attorney, his executors, administrators, or assigns; for this payment to be well and faithfully made, by these presents we firmly bind ourselves and each of us for the whole and undivided sum, and (we bind) our heirs, executors and administrators. Sealed with our seals. Given the eleventh day of the month of March in the second year of the reign of George II, King of Great Britain, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, and in the year of the Lord 1728/29.

There should be a second part below, in English, the ‘condition’, setting out the details of who was intending to marry and where.

ADDED
Thomas married Catherine Sketh in Thrussington 1728

The bond is dated 11 March 1728/29. At this period the new year began on 25 March, so the marriage will have been in 1729 in the modern calendar.

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Bookbox

Thank you for your help, £200 must have been a considerable sum for 1728, I did find a copy of the parish entry for their marriage, sadly they follow each other in the June 1742 burials, the English part of the marriage bond is posted below.

Would the avoidance of banns be a sign that the bride's family didn't approve?  I have no information on Thomas or Catherine before their marriage, there are a few Thomas Henfrey's being bapt around 1696 but I have no clues to work on exactly when or where he was born, Sketh if it is correct is a very unusual surname, I was wondering if it was a Catholic surname as I know how hard it is to find early Catholic records.

Regards

Julie

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 22:14 BST (UK) »
£200 must have been a considerable sum for 1728

The money was not paid upfront, but was the penalty that would become due in the unlikely event that the allegation was untrue.

Would the avoidance of banns be a sign that the bride's family didn't approve?

Not necessarily. Marriage by licence was fairly common at this early period. It saved the time which would otherwise be spent waiting for banns to be read on three consecutive Sundays, it was more private as there was no public announcement in church, and it was seen as a mark of social status.

Sketh if it is correct is a very unusual surname

Although the spelling of Catherine’s name isn’t too clear here, it’s very clearly Sketh in one of the two copies of the parish register that can be seen online.

There do seem to be a few Sketh families in Leicestershire, especially if you’re flexible about spelling variants -- Sceath, Scaythe etc. You could try asking for help on the Leicestershire board from people with local knowledge (if you haven’t already?).

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Bootbox

Thanks for all your help, I did try to find more about Thomas 10 years ago
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=220270.msg1313919#msg1313919

Sad really to think I've been into family history for 11 years now, who knows another 11 years and I might find everybody that I've been researching all these years :)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 22:29 BST (UK) »
Things have moved on quite a bit in the last 10 years, especially as regards online access to records, and not just parish registers. It might be worth posting again.

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Bookbox

Things have moved on a lot as you say and as more sets of records are released online it's amazing what turns up, in the last few months I found my Great Grandfather did a runner to America leaving my Grandfather aged 1 with his Uncle after my Great Grandmother died in 1883.

Thomas Henfrey's daughter Elizabeth married Will Tinson, there were a few candidates for his parents but none local, by chance I found his death 2 weeks ago with an interesting note "son of Tinson of Chipping Norton" not the sort of thing you would expect to see relating to a 71 year old man, but considering he was a fellmonger of Melton Mowbray, it seemed like the right Will, then I found Elizabeth's death noted a widow of Will fellmonger of Melton Mowbray, turns out Will is the son of Edmund Tinson of Chipping Norton, he was born in 1725 and served an apprenticeship with Jon Tinson Glove? (can't make out the second word) in 1745,  he married Elizabeth in 1752 that leaves a gap of 7 years for his move  up to Melton but without that note in the death records I would never have thought of looking in Oxfordshire 80 miles away for himIt's the little details that can turn out to be the most significant finds

Regards
Julie

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 14:36 BST (UK) »
Good to hear you’ve been making more progress!

he was born in 1725 and served an apprenticeship with Jon Tinson Glove? (can't make out the second word) in 1745
If you’re looking at the apprenticeship tax register, John Tinson's occupation is written as Glover &c. (= Glover etc.), in case that helps.