Author Topic: wanting to find info on my grtgrandads (ohn laidlaw) time in thr=e army in the o  (Read 4523 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: wanting to find info on my grtgrandads (ohn laidlaw) time in thr=e army in the o
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 July 17 13:30 BST (UK) »
the fact that he was t-recorded as lib=ving uin theitr home on the year of the census form but that in no way says where or when he was born. anbd I know he was born aug 1872

I'm not following this Marcie. How could he be recorded in the 1871 census as living with them if, as you claim, he wasn't born until 1872?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: wanting to find info on my grtgrandads (ohn laidlaw) time in thr=e army in the o
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 July 17 15:00 BST (UK) »
the fact that he was recorded as lib=living In their home on the year of the census form but that in no way says where or when he was born. and I know he was born aug 1872

I'm not following this Marcie. How could he be recorded in the 1871 census as living with them if, as you claim, he wasn't born until 1872?
I dont know still got to find the death of their son william walker mght clarify the date a litttle moreprthaps if their son died 1869 and he was born 1970 living eiyth them in 1871 maybe they msade it official in 1872 and I do have his birthdatr incorrect but I can only go by whatI as told and the pc of info  found all those years ago.Only wish that I stilll had it.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 July 17 15:06 BST (UK) »
the problem was it was just a piece of paper not an official documrnt it was just as though someone had made a note ready to update some file or otherjust said baby boy born aug 1872
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 July 17 20:02 BST (UK) »
John Laidlaw's service records are on Ancestry. He appears to have served in the 11th Hussars ( reg number 3347) from which he was discharged in 1902 ( this might explain his absence from the 1901 census). He rejoined the army in August 1914 and I think he ended the war in the Labour Corps. I'm not great at deciphering these records, but someone with more knowledge might be able to provide more info.
The Statement of Disability included in the records has the same address - 3 Albert Street , Edinburgh - as appears on his death certificate in 1923.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 July 17 20:17 BST (UK) »
Attestation Papers for the Hussars are in Findmypast. He joined at Canterbury on 15th Oct 1891 when he was 22 years and 7 months old ( giving birth around March/April 1869). Next of kin is father William of 38 Duke Street, Leith ( this is scored out and 11 Henrietta Street, Glasgow added). Details of his 1904 marriage to Marjory are also included. He appears to have served in India and South Africa.
Isobel

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
the fact that he was recorded as lib=living In their home on the year of the census form but that in no way says where or when he was born. and I know he was born aug 1872

I dont know still got to find the death of their son william walker mght clarify the date a litttle moreprthaps if their son died 1869 and he was born 1970 living eiyth them in 1871 maybe they msade it official in 1872 and I do have his birthdatr incorrect but I can only go by whatI as told and the pc of info  found all those years ago.Only wish that I stilll had it.
William and Margaret's own son was actually called Charles William Laidlaw and was born in 1863 and died in 1864.
Isobel

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Marcie

IsobelW's find of John Laidlaw's service record is a goldmine.  Interpreting his record further:

Served Oct 91 to Mar 92 and then deserted

Rejoined Sep 93 (not court martialled because of rejoining but served a short imprisonment).
Served in India and the Boer War temporarily with the 8th Hussars and the Scottish Horse.

Completed his engagement in Aug 02

Served two more reserve years Sep 09 to Mar 11

Rejoined for the Great War on 31 Aug 14

Initially in the Reserve Cavalry Regiment, then Labour Corps and then (Nov 1917) to the Army Service Corps (Mechanical Transport).

Served throughout in UK, discharged in Mar 1919.

There are Boer War records for him.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thanks MaxD for casting your expert eye over the army records. Is it unusual for someone of John's background to join the Hussars? I'm just wondering whether John did have someone of influence looking out for him, as Marcie has been led to believe by various family stories.
Isobel

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
His occupation when joining was horse keeper so that would fit.  As to his background, for the run of the mill soldier that would play no real part, it was the officers who tended to come from the more rarified sector of the population!  The family stories don't appear all that reliable (as it often the case), his record has an 1869 date of birth.

There is a lot of detail to be squeezed out of the various records but I need a little time.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia