Author Topic: Pace and Ions families in Burnopfield  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pace and Ions families in Burnopfield
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 01:13 BST (UK) »
Hello CaroleW

Would the reference numbers you quoted me lead to a street address not just the name of the inn?  I am totally out of my depth here as I normally research buildings not people.

Elliven

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 10:01 BST (UK) »
Other than the dates I have found in trade directories, I have drawn a complete blank.

There is a 34yr old Richard Pace occ innkeeper on the 1891 census for Tanfield Durham.  Birthplace Calverley which is Yorkshire not Durham as shown on image.  Address is Queens Head Inn and next address down is Burnopfield

RG12 Piece 4087 Folio 37 Page 16

Hi Carole, looking at the image, Richard Pace's birthplace is actually Collierley, which was most definitely in County Durham.

Possible birth from free BMD, Richard Pace, b. 1st q. 1857, Durham 10a, 208

Would the reference numbers you quoted me lead to a street address not just the name of the inn? 

The reference number will take you to the relevant page of the 1891 census, which will show you all the entries on that page, including that for Richard Pace and family. The first entries on the page simply show Burnopfield. Then there is the Queen's Head Inn, followed again by Burnopfield.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hello JenB,

That is very interesting because Collierley Dykes is one of the three villages which merged to form what is now Dipton where I live! It is also only two miles - an easy walk - from High Friarside and Burnopfield.

Elliven

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 14:09 BST (UK) »
There are a couple of references to Richard Pace in the newspapers.

Northern Echo, 10 September 1895 refers to '....Richard Pace, landlord of the Queens Head Inn, a beerhouse at Burnopfield......' being fined for allowing betting on licensed premises.

The same incident is related in more detail in the Durham County Advertiser  of 13 September 1895. There are several references to the incident taking place in Richard Pace's house.

My feeling is that he was simply operating a beerhouse from home. 

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hello JenB,

Can I purchase copies of these articles and, if so, where?  This is very interesting indeed because he started life as a miner and by the 1901 Census he was back in the mines.  I think it is likely that he either lost his licence or was sacked by the owner - possibly for persistent offences.  I know that it was an actual pub not a licence from his front room because I have traced the most recent owner who says when he bought it, it still had proper beer cellars.

Elliven

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 18:12 BST (UK) »

I know that it was an actual pub not a licence from his front room because I have traced the most recent owner who says when he bought it, it still had proper beer cellars

I'm a bit confused by this, as I had the impression from your earlier posts that you didn't know where the Inn was?

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 18:48 BST (UK) »
I have found this out today on the local facebook site.  The item was seen by a man and his wife (independently!) who have just recently sold the property.  Until that moment, I had no idea where it was.  Someone else had suggested a totally different site.

Elliven

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 20:35 BST (UK) »
Are you willing to share where it was?

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 20:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's the whole point of what I am doing!

It is now a private house at No 14 Busty Bank, Burnopfield - right in the centre of the old part of the village.  I have just been informed that it used to be known as "The Grapes"  That is another lost pub and if true it has been there since at least 1816.  Most of the houses in the older part were built in the 19th Century so it is possible.

Elliven