Author Topic: Alexander Blair Brick Wall Ireland Before 1837  (Read 3329 times)

Offline oldkid1943

• RootsChat Extra
  • Old opinionated curmudgeon just gettin' by.
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Blair Brick Wall Ireland Before 1837
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 July 17 19:50 BST (UK) »
@MYLUCK... your first two lines re Canada census info is new for me and may lead to more. 
As for Susan Hydron, that's another can of worms.  I have seen and photographed Alexander and family at Hillcrest Cemetery in Heuvelton, NY when I was able to travel up there from Texas 12 years ago.  Several sources show Susan's surname as Hydorn, which I tend to believe is correct, her being of the family of Peter (Hydorn/Heydorn/Heidorn).  As you know, spelling in days gone by was an art form.  LOL.    ;D  More later as I have to leave for an appointment.
Charlie
Bouchard (Canada, US Aft 1900)/(exclude dit Dorval), Newvine/Villeneuve (1600-1900), Tremblay (Canada Only), Blair (Ire/Can/US), Dowd (Canada, East/Lower Canada), Pepin (incl. Pepin dit Lachance), Lachance, Ensign(e), Weake (Eng), Barker(Eng), Berard(Can/US)

Offline oldkid1943

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 July 17 00:55 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RC

There is an Alexander Blair on the 1851 Census of Canada East, Canada West, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia as aged 15; a Free C. Presbyterian and a servant with an Ervin family.

He is shown on the 1860 and 1880 census returns in New York with his wife Susan and family.

Alexander's wife Susan nee Hydron died on Mar 27 1888 LINK to gravestone

Alexander is shown as 61 on the 1900 census as married to a lady named Catherine aged 48
It states married 6 years implying c1894
This later marriage could be a source of his parent's names and more details if located

It also gives his birth as Feb 1839; 57 years in USA; immigrated 1843
@MYLUCK... I love this board already, wish I had found it earlier.  I have attached analysis on your first two lines... No joy.  I will attach what I have on MY Alexander later with a link to my cloud account.  I must be doing something wrong because I get an error that the attachment is too long.  I will work on the cloud...   Charlie
Bouchard (Canada, US Aft 1900)/(exclude dit Dorval), Newvine/Villeneuve (1600-1900), Tremblay (Canada Only), Blair (Ire/Can/US), Dowd (Canada, East/Lower Canada), Pepin (incl. Pepin dit Lachance), Lachance, Ensign(e), Weake (Eng), Barker(Eng), Berard(Can/US)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 July 17 12:56 BST (UK) »
Glad we are of some use! Just always bear in mind official records are best for proof!
Online searching can give results but not always correct ones
There is another Alexander BLAIR in New York at the same time but he is with his family on each census and unless he managed to marry Susan and be in two places at once cannot be your man; however, there are a couple of trees that are using those census returns for the Alexander BLAIR who married Susan HYDRON.

I wouldn't mind spelling differences as literacy was an issue at time.

If Alexander arrived in Canada/USA in 1843 he would have only been a small child; it is most probable that some relative, his parents or siblings, if any, arrived with him
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 July 17 14:06 BST (UK) »
What are the christening details that you have found- we might be able to search further or eliminate that record.

Looks like he died 1903 and mother listed as Mary Syaland in extracted record-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FD18-PQJ
Father isn't listed so he might have been illegitimate or informant didn't know father's name. In any case, death certificate itself needs checked to see exactly what is written for mother's name and if any other details are listed.
Have you seen his death certificate yet?

Alexander Blair's second wife was Catherine Kennedy.
Does that marriage certificate list his parents?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline oldkid1943

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 July 17 01:12 BST (UK) »
I am aware of the other Alexander Blair in the area (St. Lawrence Co.), but have full confidence in the Alex I am working spent all of his life after 1856 in and around Depeyster and Heuvelton, NY. I am also comfortable his first wife was Susan Hydorn, Daughter of Peter James Heydorn/Hydorn and Deborah Elizabeth Tryon from several sources.  It appears that Peter James Heydorn may have departed the area and left the family farm to Susan, Alexander married Susan and became immediately the owner of a prospering farm in Depeyster.  I am not well organized, but scattered here and there among more than a half dozen old hard disks and reams of paper in boxes, most of the story after arrival in this country is laid out.  The problem I have is tracking Alexander back through Canada (probably Canada East) to Ireland where odds say he was born in Ulster (Proddy).  There is a dirth of free research material coming out of the old country, and considering the turmoil in that area for over 100 years of insurrection, warfare, misrule, and famine, the poor quality of the material is not surprising.  I really have to get to work on what I have and get some consolidation done so it all makes sense.  Ill health for a number of years between 2005 and early 2016 discouraged efforts that should have been taken then.  Charlie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 July 17 11:19 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear that you'd been unwell for such a long time- hopefully you will be able to pick up your research and find more information on Alexander Blair. However, it's really not fair to blame Irish records or history for the difficulty in finding the origins of the Blair family. After all, if you were looking for a John Smith born 1830s in England it would be just as difficult!

The clues you need to have a chance to trace Alexander back in Ireland will be in U.S. and possibly Canadian records so that's where you need to start.

- Alexander's death certificate for details on parents
- Alexander's 2nd marriage to Catherine Kennedy again for details on his parents

If Alexander did leave Ireland around 1843 it is more than likely that he came with relatives. That is why I suggest looking into that Ervin family as they might be related.

You mentioned at the start you'd come across a possible (unproven) baptism for Alexander. When you find this record in your notes please tell us the details. It may or may not be your Alexander but will give us more to work with regarding names of parents and location in Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 July 17 11:28 BST (UK) »
Glad you are recovered and back researching after your bout of ill health.
I need a good tidy up myself here and have no excuses!

I agree with aghadowey's comments and suggestions. Good Luck
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 July 17 08:09 BST (UK) »
I agree with aghadowey's comments and suggestions
another record that might be useful

1823-1837 Tithes Applotment Books  from http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/
The relevant original books are in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast
has at least 257 entries for Blairs in the northern 6 counties
[Note:-using http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=blair&firstname=&county=&parish=&townland=&search=Search there are 41 Blair entries in the 26 countiea]

The Hub entries including
Blair, Alex.   Townland: Rosedermot Year: 1825      Dunaghy   Antrim
Blair, Alexr.   Townland: Ballydonelly Year: 1833   Duneane   Antrim
neither is your Alexander but either of these two or any of the males among the 257 entries could be your Alexanders father.  And it is known to be a very incomplete record.

some 30 years later see Griffiths Valuation in http://www.failteromhat.com/post1845.php
Blair   Hugh      Rosedermot   Dunaghy   Antrim
Blair   Alexander   Rosedermot   Dunaghy   Antrim
Blair   Archy      Carrowcowan   Dunaghy   Antrim
Blair   John      Derryhollagh   Duneane   Antrim
Good Luck onwards
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline oldkid1943

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 July 17 00:05 BST (UK) »
I agree with aghadowey's comments and suggestions
another record that might be useful

1823-1837 Tithes Applotment Books  from http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/
The relevant original books are in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast
has at least 257 entries for Blairs in the northern 6 counties
[Note:-using http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=blair&firstname=&county=&parish=&townland=&search=Search there are 41 Blair entries in the 26 countiea]

The Hub entries including
Blair, Alex.   Townland: Rosedermot Year: 1825      Dunaghy   Antrim
Blair, Alexr.   Townland: Ballydonelly Year: 1833   Duneane   Antrim
neither is your Alexander but either of these two or any of the males among the 257 entries could be your Alexanders father.  And it is known to be a very incomplete record.

some 30 years later see Griffiths Valuation in http://www.failteromhat.com/post1845.php
Blair   Hugh      Rosedermot   Dunaghy   Antrim
Blair   Alexander   Rosedermot   Dunaghy   Antrim
Blair   Archy      Carrowcowan   Dunaghy   Antrim
Blair   John      Derryhollagh   Duneane   Antrim
Good Luck onwards
All good suggestions IF I can ever come up with a good hint for a father's name.  Considering Alexander named his first son "Judson" (my G-Grandfather), the father's name may be Judson, but I have found no lead there in 17 years of research.  Alex did name his second son Alexander, who was called Alex.  Need someone to tell me if the naming convention in Ulster in that era was possibly first son = GRANDFATHER, second son = FATHER, and so forth.