Author Topic: William W? TURNBULL  (Read 5237 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: William W? TURNBULL
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 July 17 02:32 BST (UK) »
There's quite a number of entries for the surname GAMBRILL throughout NSW in the early 1900s Electoral Rolls and in the Sands Directories too. 

For example:
NSW ER 1902, PARRAMATTA, polling at Parramatta
Benjamin GAMBRILL, Western Road, labourer
Emily Hannah GAMBRILL, Western Road, domestic duties

Sands Sydney Alpha Directory 1905
Mrs B GAMBRILL,  Western Road, Parramatta.

Red post,

Yes, re Hurstville registration ... if a clergyman conducted the ceremony, then it was his responsibility to register the marriage.  He was not obliged to register it at the closest office, although most did so.  The ceremony could be conducted anywhere in NSW, and registered at any office.   When the ceremony was conducted by the Registrar, then of course the registrar recorded it at his own office. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 13 July 17 02:37 BST (UK) »
The Turnbull Clan website has William Willoughby with the same parents as on the death registration, that we have, but it shows the siblings as James and Leonora.

So the SMH notice is odd indeed, if he is our man.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Bobby G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 July 17 02:39 BST (UK) »
I think Bobby, you need to consider that the pair buried at Woronora may not be your couple. There are other Dorothy M and William Turnbull at the cemetery:

http://www.woronoracemetery.org.au/finding-loved-ones

The fact that their marriage was registered at Hurstiville doesn't necessarily mean that they remained in the area.

The Ryerson listings and burials could just be a coincidence.

Therefore, Dorothy's parents may not be George Frederick and Mary.

Janice

Thankyou Janice,  there just isnt enough evidence at the moment is their. At some point I will order her marriage doc, but in the mean time i'll follow Benjamins path in Kent, as mentioned above, before I venture back here, and that should be with Dorothy leading the way.
Researching Gambrill www.gambrillfamilytree.com Gedmatch T909876 Join our Gambrill FB Group

Offline Bobby G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 13 July 17 02:42 BST (UK) »
There's quite a number of entries for the surname GAMBRILL throughout NSW in the early 1900s Electoral Rolls and in the Sands Directories too. 

For example:
NSW ER 1902, PARRAMATTA, polling at Parramatta
Benjamin GAMBRILL, Western Road, labourer
Emily Hannah GAMBRILL, Western Road, domestic duties

Sands Sydney Alpha Directory 1905
Mrs B GAMBRILL,  Western Road, Parramatta.

Thanks yes I have documented most of those for Gambrills.
Researching Gambrill www.gambrillfamilytree.com Gedmatch T909876 Join our Gambrill FB Group

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 13 July 17 03:45 BST (UK) »

Re Electoral Roll for William and Dorothy TURNBULL in 1935 and in 1936.

I have checked the NSW electoral roll for the State seat of HURSTVILLE, and polling at Hurstville.   I confirm that there’s NO entry for anyone of the surname TURNBULL at that Hurstville polling station. 

The NSW BDM online index points to 2 October 1934 as the date for the marriage of  the couple.  The NSW BDM historic districts did not need to follow the geographical boundaries for the local government areas or for the police districts, or the electoral districts.  Each government department could decide (and change from time to time) what lines to draw on what maps.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 13 July 17 09:17 BST (UK) »
I think there is little doubt that the Dorothy May GAMBRILL who married William Willoughby TURNBULL is the same woman who married Benjamin GAMBRILL in Kent.

So you have Dorothy May (nee KITE) formerly GAMBRILL who married to become Dorothy May TURNBULL.

Some census material shows her with parents George  and Mary (nee EARLY) KITE, living at 2 Rose Hill, Ramsgate, and we have her birth.
Dec 1891   
KITE, Dorothy May        
2a/919
Thanet

Benjamin GAMBRILL can likewise be found on census records as a stepson of one Frederick W. WISE at 15 Camden Rd. Ramsgate. Ancestry has the records for his time in the UK Royal Navy . He joined in 1914 and finished in 1926.

Please note, my finding of the death of one Benjamin E GAMBRILL was not the husband of Dorothy. (Will edit)

There are some newspaper snips for the couple.  I am not able to seethe full content, but perhaps someone else will.

The essence of them-

ALLEGED DESERTION
...   Yesterday, the Ramsgate Borough Bench adjourned for a fortnight a case in which Benjamin Gambrill, leading stoker on H.M.S. Droadoonght, was summoned (by) his wife, Dorothy May Gambrill, who alleged desertion. Mr. Marchant, solicitor, appeared ...

Published: Saturday 31 May 1919
Thanet Advertiser

Two birth notices with correspond to the births I have detailed above.
BIRTHS. June 7th, 7, Salisbury-avenue, Ramsgate, the wife of Benjamin Gambrill, of daughter.
Thanet advertiser 1914

BIRTHS. GAMBRILL, January I9th, 34, Plains of Waterloo, the wife of Benjamin Gambrill, of son.
Thanet advertiser 1916.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 13 July 17 09:38 BST (UK) »
 :-[  :-[  :-[  :-[   One of the suburbs of Sydney NSW is Ramsgate, and umm... being so NSW Centric I was about to start searching my Ramsgate NSW paperwork as Ramsgate is not too far from Hurstville - about 5 kilometres.  Then it dawned Thanet well that's in Kent... and Sue's noted the newspaper and difficulty with access, so it is NOT in Australia ...  ::)  ::)  ::)

Can I say 'Senior Moment' as my excuse...

JM

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 13 July 17 10:13 BST (UK) »
I did a double take at Ramsgate and Waterloo. My senior moments are becoming more frequent.  ;D

Births:

GAMBRILL, IRIS LILIAN MAY mmn KITE 
1914  S Quarter in THANET  Volume 02A  Page 2129

GAMBRILL, BENJAMIN  GEORGE FREDERICK mmn KITE 
1916  M Quarter in THANET  Volume 02A  Page 1884

Marriage: SEPT Quarter 1932 GAMBRILL Iris L M SARGEANT Sidney C G  Tenterden 2a 2925

I wonder if?: 4900/1971 SARGEANT Iris Lily  Unknown Unkown SYDNEY

SARGEANT Iris Lily Death notice 23-8-1971 Death late of North Sydney Sydney Morning Herald 25-8-1971

Probate says Lily Iris: https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/item/1346175

Oops, I see the births were put up in Reply #10.

Birth of Sidney?:

SARGEANT, SIDNEY CHARLES GEORGE mmn AVERY
1907  S Quarter in LAMBETH  Volume 01D  Page 337

There's a Mrs I L Sargeant London to Melbourne- address in Melbourne, Haworth Court, 57 Glenferrie Rd, Kew - 13 July 1948 on the ORONTES

Could this be a death for Sidney in 1947?:

SARGEANT, SIDNEY  CHARLES     41     
GRO Reference: 1947  M Quarter in PADDINGTON  Volume 05D  Page 251
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Bobby G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 13 July 17 13:35 BST (UK) »
Benjamin GAMBRILL can likewise be found on census records as a stepson of one Frederick W. WISE at 15 Camden Rd. Ramsgate. Ancestry has the records for his time in the UK Royal Navy . He joined in 1914 and finished in 1926.
Sue

I've been trying to get the names of Benjamins parents, the census you mention Sue (1911) lists his mum, Elizabeth. Havent found his father yet, but the Navy records may have him named. I'll see if i can get to the library this weekend to browse ancestry.com for that and census records.

Benjamin was born in 1891, Ramsgate, according to this census and is a Electrical Human.