Author Topic: Richard Hunt  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Hunt
« on: Wednesday 12 July 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
I've been struggling with my Great great Grandfather Richard Hunt for over 10 years now.
But I've been looking for records in Nenagh, Tipperary because of some of the records I have for him stating that's where he was born.
However, I've overlooked the fact that he must've had ties to Kent, because of the records I have for him.
I have a few including, marriage, army, 1881 census and death in Woolwich in 1882.
According to his army records he was born in Nenagh, Tipperary in 1833.
He attested into the 81st foot in Rochester in May 1854
He married Mary Connors on 10th Feb 1868 in Maidstone, whilst still serving in the army. (he left the army in 1877 after serving the majority of his time in India).
His trade on his attestation papers was stone mason and his father Thomas's trade on his marriage record was stone mason.
Can anybody help me or point me in the right direction for local stone masons around that time in Kent please? Or any other records in Kent that could give me a definite link to discover his father and mother please?
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Hunt
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 22:56 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the parish records for Nenagh?

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634771#page/37/mode/1up

or was he Church of Ireland?? (Richard HUNT isn't a typical irish name)

As a stonemason he could have been involved in house-building or building the new victorian churches that were being built as towns expanded.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 July 17 09:43 BST (UK) »
Birthplace for wife Mary is Woolwich Kent per the 1881 census. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 July 17 09:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.
On his marriage records it states he was R.C but years later two of his daughters are down as church of Ireland, but I'm pretty sure he was Catholic.
I got in touch with the records for Nenagh and they couldn't find any record of him being born there.
I'm not sure if he's changed his name or not (another ancestor has done that to me!!).
Also I think there was an army garrison near Nenagh, so maybe his dad was in the army?? But I think I need to concentrate on the Kent link, why did he join up there and also get married there?
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 July 17 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Millipede,
I have quite a few records for Mary Connors, her father was Thomas and her mother was Honora Danehy both from Kerry, but they were living in Woolwich in 1851

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 July 17 10:08 BST (UK) »
To the question of his birth, both the 36th and 37th Foot regiments had elements stationed in Nenagh in 1833 so his father may well have been serving.  The 37th were in Chatham in 1854 when he joined the 81st next door at Rochester.  Parents may well have been from or settled in Kent??

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 July 17 10:27 BST (UK) »
Oh, Thanks MaxD,
I wasn't aware about the 36th and 37th being in Nenagh, then Chatham.
I wonder why Richard didn't join them one of those then, because the 81st had already deployed to India in 1853? (Would they have left a small recruitment section in Blighty?)
And I wonder why his father is recorded as a stone mason, if he was forces? Or was that just his civvie job?

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 July 17 15:01 BST (UK) »
Ok, I've scrolled through the Nenagh birth records from 1833 to 1835 and can't even find a Richard or a Hunt in the records. It's obviously not a local name!!!
I have however found a Thomas Hunt serving in the 17th Regt. from 1824 to 1837.
His record says he was born in Anough, Tipperary, (is there such a place? Or was it misinterpreted from Nenagh??)
I'm clutching at straws but he had blue eyes, the same as Richard and he served in India before being medically discharged, although his civilian trade was a labourer.
But he never served in Ireland... Aaargh, maybe just another red herring!!!!

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 July 17 18:42 BST (UK) »
Not sure it helps to speculate why someone did something 160 years ago, reasons don't get into the records!   :)  Father could well have left the army to take up the stone mason trade well before before Richard's marriage.  (There is also a Thomas Hunt discharged from the 37th in 1833 having served since 1815 ish)
Why the 81st - speculation - perhaps short of men while in India, recruiters in UK invited to gently steer men their way.

Jigsaw pieces but no picture to fit them in!

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia