Author Topic: Torquay Cemetery  (Read 2103 times)

Offline snook

• RootsChat Member
  • Allways rocking on,trying to complete my Family
    • View Profile
Torquay Cemetery
« on: Thursday 13 July 17 02:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
     Can someone please photo the following grave for me.

Torquay Cemetery Grave No: 12118  Section  A2  general

James Patrick d.19 Jan 1934 & Jane Murray d.23 Sept 1940,both in the same plot.

Many thanks
Murray,Scotland,Tobago,Usa,N.Z.
Reade,Ireland,Eng,N.Z.
Hughes,Eng
Teague,Cornwall,N.Z.
Honey,Eng,Aus,N.Z.
Drew,Eng
Hansfords,Dorset,Southampton,Lancashire,Glasgow,London,USA & N.Z.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Torquay Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 July 17 10:30 BST (UK) »
Do you have a map of the location?

I live close enough and am willing to check it out soon, though the last few times I searched in Torquay cemetery it seemed the stones had not survived.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline snook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 July 17 22:00 BST (UK) »
Thankyou  :)

Hope you find the stones.

Cheers
Reade,Ireland,Eng,N.Z.
Hughes,Eng
Teague,Cornwall,N.Z.
Honey,Eng,Aus,N.Z.
Drew,Eng

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 July 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
Thankyou  :)

Hope you find the stones.

Cheers

::)
Mate I am not even going to look unless you can supply a map showing the location of the plot!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline snook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 July 17 22:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry  misread your requirements.
Thanks
Reade,Ireland,Eng,N.Z.
Hughes,Eng
Teague,Cornwall,N.Z.
Honey,Eng,Aus,N.Z.
Drew,Eng

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 July 17 22:33 BST (UK) »
No problem.
It is a huge place as you might imagine.

If you can get a map showing the location for the ref number you gave above, I will go and see what I can find.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 July 17 11:36 BST (UK) »
Surprised you haven't followed this through, :o but I had a bit of spare time this morning so have sent the following message on-line, to the Torquay cemetery:

Torquay Cemetery Grave No: 12118  Section  A2  general.  James Patrick d.19 Jan 1934 & Jane Murray d.23 Sept 1940,both in the same plot.
I have been asked by someone living in NZ to photograph this plot.
Are you able to send me location of  Grave No: 12118  Section  A2  general, please, so that I can attempt to find it.
Many thanks, ...

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 July 17 09:08 BST (UK) »
Astonished to report that I have had a reply from the cemetery, with a map attached, and all before 09:00a.m. on a Monday morning.

Excellent work Torquay Cemetery staff.
Many thanks.  :D

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 10:36 BST (UK) »
Not sure what's happened to Snook.... I seem to be talking to myself here, however.....

Torquay cemetery most kindly and promptly replied to my enquiry with the following instructions:
"Thank you for your email regarding the location of grave no 12118 A2 general in the name of Murray.  The grave lies on line 6 of this section which is roughly in the middle of the section which has 16 lines to it.  The grave has a kerb set on it  and the two graves either side are in the names of Thomas and Baxter which both have memorials on them."

Yesterday my husband and I combed the A2 general area very carefully, and the headstone in the photo was the only Thomas we could find. Unfortunately, as you can see, the adjacent headstone is now lying face down, and the one to the right has been removed, so there is no telling if we found the correct grave or not.