Author Topic: Charles Brown Filshie death  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Maggie Speak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Brown Filshie death
« on: Thursday 13 July 17 04:03 BST (UK) »
Hello you lovely researchers! You've helped me in the past and hope you can do so again. I'm looking for the death of Charles Brown Filshie born 1910 in Gorbals Lanarkshire. He moved to Sunderland in 1936 when he married Eliza Ward (born 1913) that year. I have not been able to find out when he died, but I know his wife remarried in 1944 to Arthur Cooke stating that she was a widow. I have looked at deaths on Scotlandspeople, Ancestry and Findmypast, along with the Forces of War website. I've also looked for death records in Canada, Australia and New Zealand, all to no avail. Is there anybody who can help with finding his record of death? ???

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Brown Filshie death
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 July 17 08:16 BST (UK) »
Eliza appears on the 1939 register in Sunderland, as Eliza Filshie but no sign of Charles. It is possible he died during the war ?

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 July 17 08:27 BST (UK) »
Interesting - In 1945 on  the Electoral Register  there was a Charles B Filshie with John Filshie living at 
Carnoustie St, Glasgow??

Kay

Added - However this Charles appears to have been living Glasgow since 1933 based on other electoral years :-\

Offline Maggie Speak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 July 17 09:54 BST (UK) »
Yes it's most odd! I thought for a while that he could have been in the military and was missing presumed dead, but I've found no military record for him. He married Eliza Ward and moved to Sunderland, Durham in 1936. Prior to that he is listed as living in Glasgow. Then he reappears in the 1945 Electoral register but nothing after that. Why did his wife state she was widowed when she remarried in 1944? What am I missing?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 July 17 10:12 BST (UK) »
Nothing in the best and most obvious source for war dead - Commonwealth War Graves Commission www.cwgc.org
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 July 17 16:30 BST (UK) »
There is a daughter's birth showing in 1943. Short window therefore for his death.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 July 17 16:47 BST (UK) »
What was his occupation when he married
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 July 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
There is a daughter's birth showing in 1943. Short window therefore for his death.

Monica  :)

The child was also registered with the surname Cooke and mother's maiden name Ward, maybe explaining the need for Eliza Filshie to marry Arthur Cooke the year later?

Offline Maggie Speak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 July 17 01:27 BST (UK) »
What was his occupation when he married

When he married Eliza Ward in Sunderland in 1936 his occupation was Plasterers Labourer.
In the 1939 register Eliza is living with her mother and siblings but stating she is married. On her marriage record to Arthur Cooke in 1944 she is stated as widowed, so if she knew he was killed (maybe in the war?) there should be a record of him somewhere. But then he shows up in the 1945 electoral register in Glasgow.