Author Topic: Charles Bargeau, aka Henry Williamson  (Read 969 times)

Offline Becky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Charles Bargeau, aka Henry Williamson
« on: Thursday 13 July 17 13:50 BST (UK) »
I am looking for one of my ancestors, Charles Bargeau, aka Henry Williamson.  In a collection a documents known as the John Grey Blount Papers, there are several letters and other documents pertaining to a Legacy of South Seas Annuities descending to Mr. Bargeau/Williamson via the marriage agreement of one of his siblings.  The marriage in question produced one known child who, at the time of the correspondence, c. 1796, was Mary Fitzgerald of Charles Street, St. James Square.  The other heirs are her uncles, Charles/Henry being one of them, though brothers of which parent is never clarified.  The others are:  John who died in Lisbon at the house of Mayne & Co. c. 1771, Joseph who went to the East Indies in about 1752 and hadn't been heard of since, and Francis who died a Midshipman aboard the Griffen Man of War (Thomas Taylor, Master) at Antigua c. 1772.  All of this information is contained within the 3rd volume of the JGB Papers.  They also say that Charles Bargeau/Henry Williamson was formerly of London.  The only other reference I've found of a Charles Bargeau comes from Volume 14 of the Proceedings of the Huguenot Society of London which mentions someone of that name, son of John Bargeau "late of Spitalfields" being bound as a goldsmith in 1749.  Also, I've found a Francis Bargeau of Middlesex, son of John Bargeau of Spitalfields, Middlesex, deceased, apprenticed 17 Apr 1755 to Robert Bayley as a draper.  And a christening record of a Francis Bargeau, son of John and Margaret, at Christ Church 21 Sep 1740.  A John Bargeau was buried in Spitalfield 20 May 1745, and a Margaret 26 Jun 1743.  That's the sum total of what I've been able to find.  At the time of the correspondence, Charles Bargeau was living as Henry Williamson in Hyde County, North Carolina, near Lake Mattamuskeet.  He and his wife, Ann, had 4 daughters and 2 sons.  Interestingly, one of the sons was named Peter LeCuse Williamson.  I know there were several Peter Le Cuex, silk weavers, who were prominent in Spitalfields from the late 17th century on into the early 19th.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Okay was able to do a little more digging yesterday and found a marriage in St. Michael, Cornhill, London dated 10 Apr 1735 between John Le Keux of Norton Folgate and Mary Bargeau of Christ Church.  And, at St. George, there was a marriage between Mary Le Keux and Keane Fitzgerald 29 Oct 1788.  Question is, am I the right track?  I read somewhere, can't remember where, that the Mary Le Keux who married Keane was the daughter of a Mary Le Keux and a Peter Le Keux.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Bargeau, aka Henry Williamson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 July 17 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat,we''ll see what we can find.

There's a Marriage St Pauls Benet Wharf
John Bargeau of Stepney  and Margaret Perochan of St Giles in the Fields  8.3.1717.

Son Robert 10.10.1722 on familysearch just says London st Giles Cripplegate

Ciderdrinker

Offline Becky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  Don't you love FamilySearch.org? 

Did a little more homework last night.  There's a Robert Bargeau who was buried in Spitalfields 24 Feb 1740.  Also in Spitalfields was the christening of James Bargeau, son of John and Mary, 25 Jun 1732, and the burial of Abraham Bargeau 16 Apr 1746.  And a Peter Bargeau married Mary How 16 Oct 1744 at Saint Benet Pauls Wharf.  Mary Bargeau, daughter of Peter and Mary, was christened at St. Mary's, Whitechapel, 24 Oct 1746 and Peter Bargeau was buried in Whitechapel 3 Oct 1753.  Also, there were several earlier Bargeaus in Threadneedle Street and a very interesting Jean Bargeau, son of Jean and Marguerite, born 6 Feb 1719, and christened 22 Feb 1719 at Savoye de Spring Gardens and des Grecs, French Huguenot, Westminster.  How, or if, they all connect is the question.

Also, in Letters of denization and acts of naturalization for aliens in England and Ireland by William Arthur Shaw, page 236, on the 22 Jun 1694 are James Bargeau and his sons James, John, Peter and Abraham. 

Becky

Offline kkb-usa

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 September 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
This is interesting and I signed up here just to be able to respond.  We have a Walloon/Huguenot family in early Colonial New York via Jacques "James" BARGEAU x Jeanne DE LANCHEL.  They seemed to have started out in Spitalfields.  Since Abraham is baptized there in 1693. Abraham becomes an indented apprentice to a cordwainer and tanner, John STEPHENS, in the New York in 1705.  After first glance I thought this is how Abraham got to the USA,  yet find Jacque and Jeanne baptizing another son at the French Church in New Amsterdam / New York, Jacobus in 1698.  Jacques is noted be a shipwright at the time of Abraham's apprenticeship. And Jacobus's witness, Francios VINCENT, is a sailmaker.

I find another James and Abraham BARGEAU in the États de la distribution de la somme de trente neuf mille livres, accordée par sa Majesté aux pauvres Protestants françois laïques réfugiez en Angleterre, pour trois ans & trois mois finissant au 25 Décembre 1721, etc - Translated: States of the distribution of the sum of thirty-nine thousand pounds, granted by his majesty to the poor Protestant French secular refugees in England, for three years and three months ending December 25th, 1721, etc. - Page A2 - https://books.google.com/books?id=4_BeAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA2

This can not be same James and Abraham since both would already be in the States by 1721, proof in the baptismal record found in New Amerstadam.  Abraham (1693) marries in New York 1713 to a Geertje BRES/BRAS and has two sons Jacobus (1714) and Gerret (1716), then also a daughter, Cattryna, in Hackensack, NJ in 1720.  Abraham seems to also become a shipwright and still alive as Captain Abraham BARGEAU found in a Pennsylvania newspaper in 1747.  So not the same Abraham buried at Spitsfield in 1746.

Its does seem however these persons all belong to the same family group.

I am trying with all I can find to attach a Henry that pops up in the Palatine / Dutch area on the Hudson River near Albany, New York. in 1745.  We know he is not French-Canadian now and DNA testing proves he is not from the French BERGERONs.  If you have a direct male heir that can be a testor. We can see if BARGEAU and BADGERO are in the same Haplogroup. BADGERO test out in the middle eastern J2 Haplogroup and so far we only been matching ourselves, anyone decending from Henry (born cia 1715-1725).