Author Topic: German name/handwriting  (Read 1177 times)

Offline sarahbeanz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German name/handwriting
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 July 17 22:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your input.

It's quite confusing as there is no mention of him or his wife and child after the 1881 census.
In fact i found a Henrich jackson in Tyneside detention house in Tyneside who was a seaman but it says he was from Finland but then a newspaper article about him says he was from Norway.

The use of the letter "ß" is german but could maybe used in other languages.
His son was called Henry Powell Jackson and i was told that Powell is Henry/Henrich's middlename too.
I have found a Powell Jackson also who died at sea and was born in Stettin which was Prussia/Germany but is now part of Poland. I thought he might be the same person but again, there is an entry in the 1881 census of him being a lodger.

So frustrating...

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 July 17 09:06 BST (UK) »
Stettin or Szczecin is not just Polish/German but had a period 17th century when it came under the control of the Swedes so might be from  a Scandinavian family. 

Just seen that the marriage certificate is from Hull.  There was a huge lot of contact by fisher families between those from Scandnavian countries such as Denmark and northern of Germany and ports on North east English coast such as Grimsby and Hull. 

On FS there are a few Swedish Jaquesson families may be using the previous  'son of Jaques'

Offline sarahbeanz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 July 17 10:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the Scandanvian lead. i found something in the newspaper archives of a Henrich Jackson who was sent to prison for desserting a Norwegian vessel. It's also on the 1881 census of him in prison. The newspaper says he's Finnish and the census says he's Norwegian.

However i have no idea if this is the same person as now i have 3 different census entries for very similar people!