Author Topic: how do I find out which war theatre my grt grsndad john laidlaw was in?  (Read 433 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
thought I might be lucky, if I could find out what area he served in,I have no photos of him and do not know anyone in our family who may still have any photos my grandad is different , I was always combing his hair putting brill cream ini it and grips and things and he never complained a jot, I also have photos of him
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: how do I find out which war theatre my grt grsndad john laidlaw was in?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 July 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
Marcie

You posted on this in another thread   http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=774826.0

If we don't know what regiment he fought in, there is no way of finding out the answer to your question.  You've mentioned he might have been in the Scots Greys - they fought throughout the Great War on the Western Front in France and Flanders.  That unfortunately gets us no nearer a photo which will not exist in service records even if we could find those.

There are other threads on this subject - great potential for duplication!

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia