Author Topic: 1911 Census Conumdrum - Jones  (Read 6859 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Census Conumdrum - Jones
« Reply #27 on: Monday 03 September 18 22:19 BST (UK) »
What about this William Jones, from Dungarvan, died 1915.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1915/05270/4463097.pdf

Now trade does not appear to match - but were there any others of that name in Dungarvan? Apparently not.
Difference in age is well within normal "error bars".
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Pdorgan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 14:30 BST (UK) »
Wexflyer,

Thanks, yes I did see that, I had that on the possibility list.....
I was never confident enough to assume it was the correct William, 1) because of the age 2) the occupation, & 3) This William died in the Workhouse, but we know he had money on his death
But then I recently found the attached in Irish newspaper archives ...

I can see its very possible that the age is in error, as he had no family left in Dungarvan, I do believe he was 59 not 69.. I can see how that would happen...

His occupation is listed on the Death Registration as Cabinet maker, which I believe was his fathers occupation.

The fact he died in the workhouse is not because he was poor, but he was there being hospitalised, and cared for his cancer, as he had no family. Do you think this is a resonable assumption??

I still cant find him in the 1911 Census, maybe he was in the Workhouse already in 1911..

Thanks
Peter

Co Clare - Corry, Duggan, Hogan, Linnane, Madden, Molony, Noonan
Co Tipperary - Dorgan/Dargan/Durgan, Jones
Llanelly - Davis, Evans, Peregrine
Sussex - Fermor, Martin

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 18:02 BST (UK) »
With that obituary, you can be certain it is your ancestor! The addresses and details match very well.
Ages - a 10 year discrepancy is routine! Normal.  Just this weekend I was again looking at records for a great-great-grandfather of mine. Death registration says he was 61, burial register 80!
Workhouse - it is clear from the death registration that he was there for medical treatment, not as a pauper. By 1915, the hospital aspect was much more important than in early years.
Finally, have you located his grave - is there a gravestone?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Pdorgan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 19:24 BST (UK) »
No, I didn't find his grave yet, I did visit Dungarvan in May, but didn't have this information at that time.
I am assuming he is buried at St Mary's Church.. I will try to contact them...
Thanks
Co Clare - Corry, Duggan, Hogan, Linnane, Madden, Molony, Noonan
Co Tipperary - Dorgan/Dargan/Durgan, Jones
Llanelly - Davis, Evans, Peregrine
Sussex - Fermor, Martin