Author Topic: Trouble with Firefox browser  (Read 8794 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with Firefox browser
« Reply #18 on: Friday 14 July 17 15:12 BST (UK) »
if you are in taskmaster is it listed there twice??

it shouldn't be! Your computer should say it is already running.

If it is there twice you might have 2 versions. Can you go to your Downloads Folder and see?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 14 July 17 15:15 BST (UK) »
What version of Firefox do you have -
to find this
1. click on the three bars in top right corner &
2. then on the question mark at the bottom of the new menu and
3. then "About Firefox"

It says Firefox ESR52.2.1 (32 bit). As I've said before to my shame, most of it means nothing to me, but that '32 bit' alarmed me because I know my Vista premium is 64 bit. Could this be the problem, but, if so, why is it only just making itself known?

Your computer is running Vista 64 - this is the 64bit version of the operating system - the main difference between 64 bit & 32 bit systems is the amount of memory they can access. 64 bit systems will quite happily run 32 bit programs, so no need to worry on that score.

The version of Firefox you are running is an ESR version (ESR stands for Extended Support Release) and 52.1 is I believe the latest version of that (Firefox on Windows 10 is now at Version 54). Older systems like Vista were automatically switched by Firefox earlier this year - although Firefox will continue to support Vista through these ESR releases this is only scheduled to continue until early 2018.

It may be better to download a fresh version from Mozilla at
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/
and once that is done, uninstall the current one and then install the new version

Thanks for the reassurance about the 32 and 64 bits. I remember having trouble when I bought a CD from Notts FHS and it wouldn't run on 64 bit. Set them a problem, but, to their credit, they sorted it out.

If I download a fresh version of Firefox, will it operate on Vista? Sorry if I'm being dense but the link you gave me to download a newer version seems to be for organisations and when I click on their link for personal use, its just a load of bumf about how wonderful it is but nowhere can I see 'download here'!!

Just to make my frazzled nerves even worse - a power cut just made me have to reboot and hope nothin else bad had happened! (I don't think it has!)

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 14 July 17 15:16 BST (UK) »

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 14 July 17 15:28 BST (UK) »
if you are in taskmaster is it listed there twice??

it shouldn't be! Your computer should say it is already running.

If it is there twice you might have 2 versions. Can you go to your Downloads Folder and see?

Yes, its there twice in taskmaster. Is it the Applications window of Taskmaster that's supposed to indicate if Firefox is running? If so, there are only 2 applications listed as running: my emails and one entitled Post Reply- Mozilla Firefox. Not sure what the 'post reply' bit means? Shouldn't it just say 'Mozilla Firefox'?

God, I hate it when I have no idea what I'm doing!! How do I find my Downloads Folder? tried searching for it but all I could find was FH type downloads that I've done, nothing for Firefox.
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 14 July 17 15:29 BST (UK) »
Jill,

I don't know whether this will help with your problem, but once a week I run the Disk Cleanup program.  Then I do a defrag.  Then I run the Eusing Registry Cleaner which can be downloaded for free.  Things usually run faster after that: computers accumulate a powerful lot of clutter over the months, so they do.

I have Windows XP and am very wary about updating any user software to a new version.  Managed to clobber Google Earth that way and it was a long time before I could sort it out.

Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 14 July 17 15:33 BST (UK) »
Good... so it is running twice!! 

Click on one and you should have the option to disable  it!

See if it works then!

That will drive your CPU way up!

I THINK you might have 2 versions installed!!

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 14 July 17 15:38 BST (UK) »
Have you another browser that works?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/find-what-version-firefox-you-are-using

My version is 52.2.1. and it says its up to date. If I were to download a newer version (assuming there is one that works on 52.2.1 which - from other comments - is debatable) does it automatically uninstall the older version. Or is that why I seem to have 2 versions of 52.2.1 on my computer?

This is all getting very confusing.
HELP!!!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 14 July 17 15:40 BST (UK) »

God, I hate it when I have no idea what I'm doing!! How do I find my Downloads Folder? tried searching for it but all I could find was FH type downloads that I've done, nothing for Firefox.

Just type Downloads in Search box.... it should show Folder, have a look at what is in the Folder!

If you have two, then Delete the oldest one!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 14 July 17 15:40 BST (UK) »
Have you another browser that works?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/find-what-version-firefox-you-are-using

My version is 52.2.1. and it says its up to date. If I were to download a newer version (assuming there is one that works on 52.2.1 which - from other comments - is debatable) does it automatically uninstall the older version. Or is that why I seem to have 2 versions of 52.2.1 on my computer?

This is all getting very confusing.

You need to look in your Downloads Folder!!