Author Topic: Trouble with Firefox browser  (Read 8801 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with Firefox browser
« Reply #90 on: Saturday 15 July 17 17:05 BST (UK) »
Well there is some process not working right, but if you can't see the list of processes running and what their status are it's difficult to say...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Saturday 15 July 17 17:16 BST (UK) »
Yes - it seems to still be working with the Shield thingy turned off. I wonder if I can sue AVG for all the time I won't get back because of them?!

Strangely, with the Shield thingy still switched on, some of those sites that wouldn't open yesterday did open today. As the Yanks would say, go figure!!

That will do for me, or I shall lose my sanity, if I haven't already. My iPod is playing AC/DC so that I can get my frustration out!!

Thanks everyone for your help. Don't know what I'd have done without you - and RC for still operating through it all!!!

Jill

Are you saying you had your antivirus on while it was trying to Update?

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Saturday 15 July 17 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
This seems to be a problem relating to Vista. I was going to suggest jillruss that if you were not happy with the Online Shield uninstalled in AVG that you downloaded Avast then uninstall AVG and install Avast. However as hepburn seems to have the same problem with Avast installed, it seems like a waste of time.
According to AVG, the Online Shield "Stops malware and spyware from sneaking onto your machine from websites and other online locations. Can also stop unnecessary pop-ups and add-ons, and can block websites with a bad security reputation."
The reason I tried uninstalling this component was the words "can block websites". The rest of AVG is working quite happily as is my computer now.
Ray

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Monday 17 July 17 12:29 BST (UK) »

Are you saying you had your antivirus on while it was trying to Update?

I thought antivirus was on all the time? Whilst what was trying to update?
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 15:29 BST (UK) »
I ended up phoning Virgin who tweaked something their end but it didn't make any difference.They're sending a technician out to see what the problem is ..
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 16:42 BST (UK) »
Virgin techie men have been..It's not my internet that's at fault.It looks like it's because I have Vista installed.. :(
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 18:48 BST (UK) »
I have Vista and all is fine..... Are you sure you don't have another AntiVirus too?

If you went to Task Panel and actually looked at what processes are running, see the Status of each you'd know what process is not being processed!!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 18:49 BST (UK) »
I have Vista and all is fine..... Are you sure you don't have another AntiVirus too?

If you went to Task Panel and actually looked at what processes are running, see the Status of each you'd know what process is not being processed!!

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 22:59 BST (UK) »
Just Avast..