Author Topic: Teresa O'CONNOR - Lookup request for birth  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Teresa O'CONNOR - Lookup request for birth
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 21:31 BST (UK) »
Have you considered she may have been illegitimate

With the Ayrshire connection posted earlier by Monica there is this birth

KELLY
TERESA
F
599/ 208
Kilwinning

I have that birth, parents are Thomas Kelly & Mary Murphy married 1862 Holytown.

KELLY THOMAS    MURPHY MARY 1862
625/2 38 Holytown

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 22:18 BST (UK) »
Oh I see, that may be the answer. I never considered legitimacy! Feel like giving this a quick look now.  Only problem with this is that I'm thinking her mother wasn't Jane Kelly anymore, but Jane Keys. Someone recently pointed this out when I sent certificates along. It muddied the waters a fair bit.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 22:46 BST (UK) »
Marriage

MCCAFFERY
THOMAS
to
MCKIE
JANE
587/ 28
Dalry (Ayr)

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 23:04 BST (UK) »
Interesting. However, I doubt the dates match up. Thomas was younger than Teresa. His parents were Terence and Mary McCaffrey whom Teresa worked for in 1881 and 1891. Terence passed away in 1913 and his wife Mary some time before that. I just looked up the death record for him. Thomas still alive by 1913 and for some time after it seems. Terence's father was named Dennis McCaffrey (according to death record) and we know from 1881 and 1891 censuses Terence was born in Ireland anyway.

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 14 December 20 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Long time since I posted, but the records here are extremely confusing.

The marriage of James O'Connor to Sarah Clark, in 1881, lists both as having been previously married. James is a "Widow" and Sarah a "Widower" to a man of surname MacVicar. James' parents are straightforwardly listed as:

William O'Connor = Ann McGee

James on the marriage is 50, Sarah is 40. They appear together on the 1881 census, at the same address of 7 Armour Street mentioned on their marriage. By 1891, they appear to be at 68 Barrack Street. James then dies in 1897, and this is where it gets bizarre. His previous wife (mentioned on his marriage to Sarah Clark implicitly) isn't here. His wife is indeed Sarah Clark on this record, but his parents are:

John O'Connor = Martha King

Sarah Clark then dies in 1909, listed as a widow of James O'Connor. On both her death and his death records, he is listed as "Army Pensioner".

I return us to the 1890 death of Jane O'Connor (wife of James O'Connor) in 7 Armour Street. What is going on here? We have two James O'Connor individuals maybe? If Jane is his wife in 1890, and he married in 1881 to Sarah - well, this would be bigamy. Was Jane in reality the earlier marriage referred to in the 1881 marriage, except that he had never truly been widowed? Or was this just another James O'Connor, related to the James who married Sarah? What is his genuine parentage?

All very confusing, and still not even sure if Teresa was son of this particular James and Jane! Her marriage to Eugene Gallagher in 1893 lists James O'Connor as dead, which would contradict the 1897 death of this James who was married to Sarah.