Author Topic: Ellen BLACKBURN Born 1851 Wolverhampton.  (Read 3911 times)

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen BLACKBURN Born 1851 Wolverhampton.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 10:58 BST (UK) »
Charles Blackburn married Mary Thomas 1859

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline hymac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 04:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Willow
Thank you.
 I have findmypast. Can you tell me where you found the date of birth for Helena. Where the actual register is.  All I could find was the bapt. date
on FindMyPast and other sites.   I wonder if the Christian name "Caroli " is correct for the father of Helena? Cannot find anything else with his name on.

I have found a marriage for a William Blackburn and a Sarah Bardley  17 April 1843 ,St. Peter, Wolverhampton. Clicked onto the image and his occupation was a maltster too.

So confusing now. Any ideas at all. Really appreciate your help.

Cheers

Bill

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hiya Bill

The date of birth is on the FindMyPast site I didn't notice that it had been transcribed as I looked at the actual image did you know her date of birth? and does it match?

You have to remember that Roman Catholic registers are often in Latin Helena (Ellen/Helen) Caroli (Charles) and Maria (Mary)

I do wonder why it took so long for Charles and Mary to marry though

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 10:21 BST (UK) »
Charles Blackburn is really hiding in 1861 Census!

BAPTISMS;
St Peter, Wolverhamptpn
MARY ANN Blackburn, 30 Aug 1845 (Father a Maltster, abode Bricklin St)
CHARLOTTE Blackburn, 10 Feb 1849 (Father a Labourer, abode Stafford St)
Charlotte was buried 26 June 1850 same address age 1.
(FreeREG)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 11:09 BST (UK) »
Mary is buried in Merridale Cemetery 3.8.1870 aged 59 years listed as wife of Charles a labourer of Horsefair (parish of St Peters)

Interestingly there are 3 stillborn children listed as being buried there on 3.8.1854, 7.5.1855 and 13.6.1856 mother listed as Sarah Blackburn on all of them but no address but under St Georges parish where Charlottes burial parish was too

There is also another stillbirth 28.12.1863 no parents listed but also in St Georges

Charles burled 5.11.1893

Willow x

Offline hymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 03:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Willow and Trish.

Thank you for all this.  No I don't know Ellen ( or Helena) date of birth unfortunately.Thanks for info about the Latin. sure helps.

They sure did take a long time to marry alright with Sarah born about 1835

Will order Charles and Mary's marriage cert.

Any ideas about my Assisted immigrant query to NZ for Ellen Blackburn.

Really appreciate everybodies help

Cheers

Bill

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 10:13 BST (UK) »
I suspect that Sarah had several illegitimate children but only Ellen survived so Charles and Mary brought her up as their own

I think getting their marriage certificate will be the best thing I suspect that Mary may have been married before and they separated and she lived with Charles as his wife until her other partner died and they could marry (I could be wrong on this but you never know)

I cannot find Sarah on earlier census under the name Blackburn so this is why I suspect Mary may have been married before and Sarah is under the surname of her first marriage

As to finding Ellen on the 1861 census there is no joy I think they must have avoided it that year somehow

Let us know what the marriage certificate says when you get it

Willow x

Offline hymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 05:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Willow

Thank you for the info.  Certificate ordered yesterday .  Takes about 2 weeks to arrive in NZ.  Will advise when I get it.

Cheers

Billx

Offline hymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 05:20 BST (UK) »
Marriage certificate arrived today . Details as follows:
Marriage solemnized at the Register Office Wolverhampton, in the District of Wolverhampton, in the County of Stafford.

(No 185.) 27th March 1859 Charles BLACKBURN,  48 years, Bachelor, Farm labourer. Residence at

time of Marriage,  Horse Fair, Wolverhampton. Father's name & Surname: Benjamin BLACKBURN

Deceased. Rank or profession of father, Maltster journeyman.

Mary THOMAS, 48 years, Widow. (no occupation)  Residence at time of marriage, Horse Fair,

Wolverhampton. Father's name and Surname: Edward WATKINS . Deceased. Rank or profession

of Father Labourer

This marriage was solemnized between us. Charles BLACKBURN and the mark of Mary THOMAS

in the presence of us: Thomas C PERRY & George RUSSELL.  (and signed by the Registrar.)

Mary was married before to someone named THOMAS. Her father's surname was WATKINS. 

Both living at Horse Fair. (No doubt together. )

Any help greatly apreciated

Kind Regards

Billx