Author Topic: Miller Family from Wick  (Read 43971 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Miller Family from Wick
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 11:07 BST (UK) »
I have a Dolina Miller/Millar, born 1837 in Hallkirk, Caithness, who married James McIvor of Latheron, son of crofter and fisherman Donald McIvor and his wife Elizabeth.  Could Dolina belong to any of these families?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Dotty27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 June 15 20:40 BST (UK) »
James Miller and Mary Mowat were my ggg grandparents. Their children were, Catherine b 1/2/1828, Elizabeth b 1831, Mary b 20/3/1832, Alexander b 1836, Thomas b 1838, James b 12/10/1841and John 1847.  Alexander was my gg grandfather and he married Janet McKay on 23/12/1859. Their children were Mary, Angus, William and Alexander b 1859. Alexander was my g grandfather. He married Johan McKay on 11th June 1880. According to the census 1891 they had children  John, Alexander b 1886 and Mary appears to be a sister. She was aged 15. Alexander was my grandfather and he married Elizabeth Hewitt on 5th September 1906 in Perth. If there is any connection would like to hear from anyone who has got a connection.

Offline DerekPMiller

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, My fathers name was Derek Miller. I know very little of his background other than he had a connection to Wick (either born there or was adopted there for a while). His birth would have been around 1933 (give or take a couple of years) and he served with the Cameroons as a young man.

Offline IndolentFop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 08:39 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was Jane Bruce Miller [b: 22.06.1885, d: 08.12.1957]. She was born in Craigston, Wick.

Her father was Murdoch Miller [b: 05.11.1841 in Olrig, d: 14.06.1908 in Wick] and her mother was Jane Oag [b: abt 1846 in Thurso, d: before 1909].

I have got back as far William Miller [b: 1776 d: 18.12.1862 in Howe, Wick]

I don't know if this any use.  I think I have much of the documentation and I am naturally more than happy to share what I have / know.

Offline NJM1983

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 22:59 GMT (UK) »
James Miller and Mary Mowat were my ggg grandparents. Thomas Miller and Elizabeth Cook were my gg grandparents.Their son, David Coghill Miller (my great grandfather) married Minnie Pratt (my great grandmother), and their son Leslie Coghill Miller was my grandfather (born in South Gippsland, Victoria, Australia).

Offline NJM1983

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Any information/records on Thomas Miller/Elizabeth Cook and earlier generations would be greatly appreciated.

Offline clopton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 29 January 16 18:03 GMT (UK) »
I am new to this forum but approaching 70 thought it high time to link with my roots. My paternal roots that is and not helped by my father being a dark horse during the short time I knew him as a boy. So my hope is by putting what little information I have out there it might get picked up as a piece in another's jigsaw puzzle.
The given knowledge from my childhood was that we hailed from Wick and my grandfather or great-grandfather was once Town Clerk there. My father's family were migrants to Birmingham, when I do not know. My father was RODERICK AUSTEN MILLER (born 1910) and he had a brother DUNCAN who apparently left for the USA under a cloud, and I never knew him.
Who knows this may trigger something!!!!
Regards, MALCOLM MILLER

Offline Alex MJM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 12:33 GMT (UK) »
There is such a vast Miller family around Wick, Caithness

My fathers family also is from there.

My father, born 1944 in London
His father Edwin Miller (twin of George), born 1908 in Wales
His father John Leslie Miller, born 1887 in Edinburgh
His father John Miller, born 1842 in Wick
His father Alexander Miller born 1807 in Wick
His father Peter Miller born in Wick (farmer I think)

Feel free to reach out and connect. I live here in London, UK

Online Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 14:14 GMT (UK) »
My mother's mother was Dorothy Miller. Her familiy came from Wick. What I have is this:

David Miller born 1724 Wick, Caithness. Son of David. Married Jean Taylor in Wick 1752.
James Miller born 1759 Wick, Caithness. Married Elizabeth Sandison in Watten 1779.
David Miller born 1780 Kilmer, Wick, Caithness. Married Ann Cormac in Wick 1825.
James Miller born 1829 Wick, married Margaret Moir in Glasgow.
William Murray Miller born 1865 Glasgow, married Gertrude Viufhuis in 1889
Dorothy Miller born 1896 in Suffolk. (My grandmother)
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs