Author Topic: Is this just a co-incidence?  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Is this just a co-incidence?
« on: Friday 14 July 17 12:48 BST (UK) »
As the post below makes clear, Richard Butland married Grace Merdon in 1790 in Ashburton. Their first recorded child was Sarah, baptised in Ashburton in 1793; but I know they also had a son, Richard, born before that (see post below for evidence) in about 1789:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=710644.msg5541019#msg5541019

One of the witnesses to the 1790 marriage was Ann Merdon, so it is possible that Grace Merdon was the one (base)born to Ann Merden in 1771 in Sampford Courtenay. It is thirty miles from Ashburton, but Grace Merdon is a rare name. Interestingly there is also a baptism in 1792 for a Richard Merdon, baseborn son of Grace Mardon. The dates don't fit the 1790 marriage (unless she went back to baptise him in her name after she was married which seems unlikely).

Is all this just a co-incidence of names? if so, where is Richard's baptism?

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Is this just a co-incidence?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 July 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
Are you sure it's Merdon, not Smerdon, which is a reasonably common name in Ashburton?
Cornish (Devon), Bowden (Cornwall, Devon), Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire), Karslake (Devon), Eales (Devon), Churchill (Dorset -- no known connection with Sir Winston), Duncan (Ireland), Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire), McMurtry (Ireland), Browning (Hampshire, Dumfries), Heberden (various), Rogers (Thurlestone, Devon)

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 July 17 20:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying.
Yes, the marriage entry and banns entry have Merdon.

Richard

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 July 17 22:44 BST (UK) »
Although the banns etc read Merdon/Mardon do not discount SMERDON - her name was Grace - she would have said her name to the cleric recording the event - he would have heard GRACEMERDON - and guessed at the spelling.
My SQUANCE ancestors were originally QUANCEs until Thomas QUANCE married and had children - some were recorded as QUANCE, some as SQUANCE because the cleric would have heard ThomasQuance and had to guess where the 's' sound ended and began.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 July 17 09:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion; sounds a sensible possibility. No sign of a Richard Smerdon bc 1789 either but I'll keep it in mind.

Richard

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 July 17 14:30 BST (UK) »
The argument could also work in reverse: I have a Winifred Eales (née Smerdon) (1731-1811) who married Richard Eales in Ashburton in 1757. Her father was Thomas Smerdon, from Buckland-in-the-Moor. He could have said Thomas Merdon and have had it recorded as Thomas Smerdon.

Incidentally, I was born in Ashburton, like the hero of Fred Hoyle's book Ossian's Ride. However, unlike him I have never lived there: during the war one had to get born where one could.
Cornish (Devon), Bowden (Cornwall, Devon), Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire), Karslake (Devon), Eales (Devon), Churchill (Dorset -- no known connection with Sir Winston), Duncan (Ireland), Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire), McMurtry (Ireland), Browning (Hampshire, Dumfries), Heberden (various), Rogers (Thurlestone, Devon)