Author Topic: Margaret Thompson, wife of James Gordon Mitchell Black  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Thompson, wife of James Gordon Mitchell Black
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 August 17 22:57 BST (UK) »
Indeed. It's a great pity that the calendar of probate becomes less and less informative over time.

Not sure if I am misremembering, but before we had the facility to view the probate calendar online, if  I could get to a Probate office I could use either the printed books ( for earlier entries) or their pcs (for later entries). From memory the later stuff had more detail showing on the pcs than I see now on the probate search website. If this look up facility still exists in probate offices, then a look up request 'may' result in more detail if someone has the time to visit.
I'd happily offer to do it, but I too currently live in Scotland and therefore its quite a journey for me to get to an English Probate  Office.

Boo

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Thompson, wife of James Gordon Mitchell Black
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 August 17 07:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Boo, again. I very much appreciate all your help. As you say, quite a trek to get to an English probate office, especially from the north of Scotland - I suppose I should add that to my lists of things to do if/when I ever get round to going to Newcastle.

However I suspect that even the later printed books don't have the same level of detail - notably the omission of the person to whom probate was granted, as the online calendar from around the 1960s is still a scan of something printed.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.