Author Topic: Help with Norwegian church records  (Read 2253 times)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Norwegian church records
« Reply #18 on: Monday 31 July 17 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank
I think it is a quite a long shot unfortunately. The odds of all that fitting are quite small. But you never know.
I know nothing of DNA searching. I have never done it. How does it work? Are the DNA tests so accurate?
Anyway, through experience of searching Swedish and Finnish seaman I have seen that not all the info they gave on certificates was that accurate and sometimes purposely misleading. I mean, Arendal and Oslo are mentioned, this can mean he is hiding something or he can't make his mind up. I do know that some seamen recorded their Seaman's Institute as place of origin.
I have read your old Norwegian post from 2009 and we can assume his recorded parents' names are true as he seemed to have followed a naming pattern for his children.

Also, Was it Oslo or Christiania he gave as place of birth?

Ian

Offline EmFrank

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Norwegian church records
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 01:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,
I found that the DNA tests seem to be reasonably ok.  Having done the test, in this case with Ancestry, you can search for anyone who has a DNA match with you, starting from very high match, to very low. In this case, they have shown a very high match with me for another direct descendant with one of Christoper Tudor's children, and than a high match for both of us with descendants of two of John Halvorsen's children, who both went to the USA.

Re Christopher's birthplace, he mostly gave Arendal, but in 2 records he gave Christiana. You could be right about him hiding his origin, or maybe  in some cases, he just gave the capital city, which is often what people do when asked where they come from.

Re the naming pattern, i agree it all fits quite well, except for naming his first son as James?

Re the 2nd marriage of Halvor Madsen, i now think its very unlikely. i just found him on an 1801 census for Aker, (born 1853 which is ok) but with a son Halvor aged 20 and daughter Berthe Maria aged 15. At that time, the other Halvor was presumably with his other family in Holt (born 1788 to 1800). it also shows Halvor to be a master builder.
So it looks like I start again!!
Regards
Frank