Author Topic: US City Directory Abbreviations  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Celticcrafter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: US City Directory Abbreviations
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 July 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
Looking at the directory, "your man" is shown on page 359 (I'm guessing it's your fellow).  That's fairly far back in the directory to have someone with the last initial of H, since it appears that the directory's last page is 370.  Skipping back a few pages is Northfield (page 353).  Could EN be East Northfield?  [I hope that makes sense - I've poorly worded my thoughts.]  ;)

Thank you so much.  I believe that you maybe more correct than ShaunJ. They did live in Northfield.
I am finding these directories somewhat confusing as I can find my Huber's in this directory also Brattleboro, VT U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995 for Max W Huber (1943) This is an identical entry to the Greenfield / Northfield US City Directory (1943).

Any thought on that?  CC
O'Farrell (Dublin) & (Westmeath) - Leonard (Dublin) - Duggan (Dublin) - Nolan (Dublin) & (Kildare) - May (Dublin) & (Manchester) - Griffin (Limerick) & (Dublin) - Doody (Dublin)- Doran (Dublin) - Flatherty (Dublin) - Ryan  - Dunne - Malone - Healy -

Offline Celticcrafter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 July 17 22:29 BST (UK) »
Trying an internet search using the man's surname, the street address and Northfield, there are several results, including a "snippet" from a newspaper.

Thank you I'll have a look at that.  CC
O'Farrell (Dublin) & (Westmeath) - Leonard (Dublin) - Duggan (Dublin) - Nolan (Dublin) & (Kildare) - May (Dublin) & (Manchester) - Griffin (Limerick) & (Dublin) - Doody (Dublin)- Doran (Dublin) - Flatherty (Dublin) - Ryan  - Dunne - Malone - Healy -

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 July 17 22:34 BST (UK) »
The 1940 census also shows them in Northfield.

...I am finding these directories somewhat confusing as I can find my Huber's in this directory also Brattleboro, VT U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995 for Max W Huber (1943) This is an identical entry to the Greenfield / Northfield US City Directory (1943).

Any thought on that?  CC

Two thoughts:  One listing was his residence and the other his workplace?  Or, depending upon when the directories were put together and eventually printed, perhaps the family moved from one location to the other during 1943 and they are subsequently shown in both?   :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 July 17 22:41 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Brattleboro Directory, neither of my ideas are correct.   ;)

Page 7 of the 1943 directory shows the directory covers (I believe it covers)
Brattleboro, VT
Hinsdale, NH
Northfield, MA
   I haven't seen that happen before.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 July 17 13:35 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Manning's 1950 directory of Greenfield, there is a Donald G and Barbara R H_____ listed at  35 Highland, EN on page 495.  If you scroll back to page 488, there is an abbreviations list that states EN is the abbreviation for East Northfield.

Offline Celticcrafter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 July 17 19:51 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Manning's 1950 directory of Greenfield, there is a Donald G and Barbara R H_____ listed at  35 Highland, EN on page 495.  If you scroll back to page 488, there is an abbreviations list that states EN is the abbreviation for East Northfield.

Thank you very much for your response.  I only looked on the 1943 abbreviations list at the very beginning of the book. Plus, thinking about it I don't believe that you would say East North as someone else suggested.  I think it would be North East. 

Thank you again for verifying East Northfield.  I will print page 488 for my files.

CC