Author Topic: FamilyTreeMaker 2017 - a warning  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FamilyTreeMaker 2017 - a warning
« on: Saturday 15 July 17 08:28 BST (UK) »
I have just uploaded my tree to the beta version of FTM 2017 and before I did I read all the instructions, backed up my tree and ticked that I did not want to upload my tree to ancestry.

I backed up and did everything right to now find that you have to upload your tree to Ancestry but you can still keep it private.  ??? ??? ???

Ancestry was hacked last year and as a result why would anyone put up their personal information for it to be hacked? ??? ???

I have just paid to not be able to access years of work.

Westy

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: FamilyTreeMaker 2017 - a warning
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 July 17 12:31 BST (UK) »

Ancestry was hacked last year and as a result why would anyone put up their personal information for it to be hacked? ??? ???

The NHS suffered a cyber attack this year - should we give up going to the doctor?

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 July 17 13:32 BST (UK) »
I suppose its personal choice isn't it.

A family tree with current information places many people at risk.  Its their choice to make to be placed at risk and not mine to make for them.

Westy

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 July 17 12:21 BST (UK) »
I don't understand, are you saying the most current version of Family Tree Maker forces you to upload your tree to Ancestry?
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 July 17 13:52 BST (UK) »
I understand that if you wish to use the "Hints" option within FTM, unlike in 2014 you now have to have a tree on Ancestry to do this, whether public or private.  If you don't use the Hints facility within FTM, then you don't have to upload a tree.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 July 17 14:21 BST (UK) »
Yes this is what I understand also. 

I fail to see how this is an improvement.

As you will know the Hints option takes you into ancestry and this way you have the benefit of having the required information already entered and then sifting through the provided options.

The biggest issue for me is that the information presented for you to take up the 'offer' makes no mention of the fact you will have to upload your tree to ancestry irrespective if you make it private. It seems the developers assume making your tree private responds to any concerns which is doesn't.  There is more than one issue including the desire to not upload your tree to ancestry.

I understand also many many people upload their tree but also many don't and I don't wish to as its my choice.

Others make a different choice and that's OK as well.

Westy

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 July 17 00:19 BST (UK) »
From what I've read it would seem the change in FTM hints is down to the fact that Ancestry no longer develops the software and has restricted their use to online comparison only.  I don't think this has ever been touted as an "improvement" but perhaps MacKiev should have been more open about the changes prior to taking people's money for the pre-release purchases.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 July 17 01:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that and I do understand however not only should MacKiev have been explicit about these changes; I purchased an Ancestry subscription and my ability to 'enjoy' that subscription has been severely limited by Ancestry changes which the company has bought about through its wish to not provide the software anymore.