Author Topic: James Carruthers McHolm. Help needed  (Read 1458 times)

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Carruthers McHolm. Help needed
« on: Saturday 15 July 17 09:37 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate a birth record for James Carruthers McHolm. I have reason to believe he left Scotland for South Africa around the time of the Boer War. There are records of him being in the SA constabulary from 1901 to 1908 and died there in 1944. He married Jean Orr McKinnon, but I don't know where the marriage took place, Scotland or SA. I have been on scotlandspeople and have drawn a blank, there are 2 James McHolm listed, but the middle name isn't mentioned, whereas in  the SA records it is. Any help would be appreciated so much. Thanks

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: James Carruthers McHolm. Help needed
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 July 17 12:00 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 July 17 12:06 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate a birth record for James Carruthers McHolm. I have reason to believe he left Scotland for South Africa around the time of the Boer War. There are records of him being in the SA constabulary from 1901 to 1908 and died there in 1944. He married Jean Orr McKinnon, but I don't know where the marriage took place, Scotland or SA. I have been on scotlandspeople and have drawn a blank, there are 2 James McHolm listed, but the middle name isn't mentioned, whereas in  the SA records it is. Any help would be appreciated so much. Thanks
I wouldn't discount these two guys just because a middle name is missing.
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 July 17 12:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I can't seem to find the Carruthers connection. Is the middle name usually after the mothers maiden name? Is there also a naming patten to this?

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 July 17 12:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I can't seem to find the Carruthers connection. Is the middle name usually after the mothers maiden name? Is there also a naming patten to this?
I suppose it all depends.
I had a great uncle with the middle name of Douglas and I asked an auld auntie where the name came from.
She said that the Douglas family were great personal friends.
I also had an ancestor in the 18th century with the middle name of Erskine.
Doing some further research I found that the local laird was an Erskine and my ancestor worked for him.
They both had bairns at the same time so I suppose it was one way of keeping in with the bosses.
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 July 17 13:19 BST (UK) »
Can I ask a question? Why is it you are trying to follow up on the James McHolm with the SA connections? It sometimes helps to understand this when looking at sources to follow.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 July 17 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica. I have a James McHolm in my tree, he is the grandfathers brother,I can't find anything after 1891 census. Knowing how the Scots migrated and having found family of his in Canada, I thought this a possibility. Nothing found in the Canada records. His brother George Burns McHolm was involved in the Boer war, so that was my next theory, perhaps he went too. Then I found the records for a j c McHolm. There are also passenger records for a J Mcholm. I don't know if I fact he is my James, but, in the hope I find more about him, I can either eliminate him or to breathe a big sigh of relief that I've eventually found him

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 July 17 19:13 BST (UK) »
I suppose it all depends.
I had a great uncle with the middle name of Douglas and I asked an auld auntie where the name came from.
She said that the Douglas family were great personal friends.
I also had an ancestor in the 18th century with the middle name of Erskine.
Doing some further research I found that the local laird was an Erskine and my ancestor worked for him.
They both had bairns at the same time so I suppose it was one way of keeping in with the bosses.
[/quote

I have just found the Carruthers connection in the family. Jane (mispelt Jean on 1841 census) married James Carruthers in 1859. I have just downloaded marriage cert to make sure. What is the possibility that James carruthers McHolm is my James? Jane McHolm would have been James' aunt.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 July 17 19:27 BST (UK) »
I have just found the Carruthers connection in the family. Jane (mispelt Jean on 1841 census) married James Carruthers in 1859.

Not really a mis-spelling, just different versions of the same name (Janet is another variation common in Scotland).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!