Author Topic: CONAN CHARLES / CHARLES CONAN from FRANCE  (Read 2229 times)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CONAN CHARLES / CHARLES CONAN from FRANCE
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 July 17 21:43 BST (UK) »
Evening!

Unfortunately there is no easy way to check for a later marriage/death - records will not have been put online and French law restricts access to more recent records.

His death certificate may refer to a spouse and often the informant/witnesses on records are relatives. It is also possible that a birth certificate may have what are called "marginal notes". These are cross-references to later records and may for example list a marriage or death. The absence of a marginal note does not mean there was no marriage.

The best place to look for records is the departmental archives. For St-Cast, this is Côtes-d'Armor.
http://archives.cotesdarmor.fr/index.php  (choose "Archives En Ligne")
 - it is now working for me. Unfortunately they have not yet put 1909 births online for St. Cast.

They do have censuses ("Listes nominatives") but these are not name indexed. I believe you will find Charles in St. Cast in 1911, in page 38.  The family at that time appears to be:

Marie Conan, 25?  (May be 35?)
children
Marthe, 13
Constance, 8
Charles, 2

Under "Registres paroissiaux et d'état civil" you can find some records relating to this family if not to Charles b. 1909 directly.

Constance Conan was b. 3 March 1903, the legitimate daughter of Charles Conan aged 36 and Marie Plessix aged 28.  Marginal notes show she married first in Paris, 15e, I think 1922?, husband Felix Charbonnier, a second marriage is mentioned in 1973, she passed away in 1976.

Marthe Conan was b. 25 Mar 1898 to the same parents, she married in 1920 in Suresnes to an Alphonse Robert, and again in 1929 in Suresnes (difficult to read name, B? Boitrer?), and died in 1981 in Saint-Ouen-l'Aumône.

This family are together with another daughter, Marie, in 1906 (page 19, "Listes nominatives" for St Cast) - so either Charles Conan Sr was away in 1911 or he died sometime between fathering Charles Jr and the 1911 census.

The fact that older sister Marthe was married in Suresnes is a good sign as far as the Charles b. 1909 St Cast being your Charles who had some connection to Suresnes later in life.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Londoner 1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 08:35 BST (UK) »
Ohhhhhh Jorose, I thought you might have needed to give up on me, due this being such a  difficult and time consuming problem.  I can't tell you how happy we both are that you've given us SO much of your time and knowledge.

The information that you've posted is wonderfully informative and I will now need to "digest" it.  Once I get it all sorted out in my head, then I can try to dig further.....at least as a "very senior citizen" I have spare time to look into these things, once I know "what to" and "where to" look, thanks to you.

Remember that I originally said my cousin had found an old envelope in her mother's handbag, well the name on the envelope was her father's name AND c/o Mdme Boitier (spelling?).  You have now managed to "identify" that connection for us.

I just don't know how to thank you for all the time you've spent on this "problem" and for all your kindness.  You must have done such a lot of work and research for us and we SO appreciate your hard work.  You really are a star !

I'll do my best now and see if I can come up with any more........

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 July 17 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

http://gw.geneanet.org/lrenouard?lang=en&pz=laurent+yves+guy&nz=marquer&ocz=0&p=charles+mathurin&n=conan

According to his marriage record, his parents are Michel CONAN, farmer, and Marie DANJOU.

Charles Mathurin CONAN was born in 1866, not in 1870 (six and dix look alike because of the handwriting). In 1866, his father was a stableman.

http://gw.geneanet.org/grutfruh?n=connan&oc=&p=michel

David

Offline Londoner 1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 July 17 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Davidqueneherve....thank you so very much for your information and links.

I am now SOOOOOO confused, as some of your information seems to conflict with Jorose ?

Please may I very respectfully ask which one is correct.

The naval records definitely seemed to fit in with Charles Conan, which is where Jorose was kind enough to get it all started for me and there after, all the research seemed to fit in too.   

But now I'm SO confused.....or am I not reading this correctly (my senior's brain often needs a helping hand lol).  Hopefully, with my lack of experience you will be able to straighten this out for me.

Please know how much I truly appreciate you all trying to help me.

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 July 17 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is no conflict. You are thinking  of Charles CONAN junior and I am talking about his father Charles Mathurin CONAN and his grandfather Michel  CONAN.

David

Offline Londoner 1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 July 17 12:14 BST (UK) »
Jorose and davidqueneherve,

Thank you SO very much Davidqueneherve, I appreciate that so much.

Do I now have this correct, especially dates of births, deaths and locations ? 

Paternal line of Charles CONAN born 1909 17.3.1909. St. Cast ....died 12.12.1954. Cancale.

Father of Charles b. 1909 was Charles Mathurin Conan born 3.9.1870.

Grandfather of Charles Conan born 1909 was Michel Conan (Connan) born 1828 and died 17.2.1906

Can you clarify for me too......the tree for Charles Mathurin Conan (b1870) shows one of his children as Charles Marie Pierre Conan as born in 1901.  Did this child die and they called their next male child Charles (b.1909) too ?

I'm so sorry that my brain has grown old and daft and that I'm being a total pain in the rear to you both.  I just wish I could express to you how much I appreciate what you have both done / are still doing to help me. 

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 July 17 12:41 BST (UK) »
For Charles Mathurin Conan his year of birth 1870 is a misreading for 1866. The records are online with a free access.

I don't know if the child born in 1901 died in infancy. It seems very likely because in the 1906 census, he is not listed among the children. It's view 19 on 34

1) CONAN Charles, 40, Plancoët, F, chef de ménage, platrier, patron
2) PLESSIX Marie, 30, St Cast, F, femme
3) CONAN Marie, 8, St Cast, F, enfant
4) CONAN Marthe, 7, St Cast, F, enfant
5) CONAN Constance, 3, St Cast, F, enfant

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 July 17 12:46 BST (UK) »
Charles Marie CONAN, passed away in 1903 at the age of 19 months (Saint-Cast 23/06/1903 frame 55 on 1115)

Offline Londoner 1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 July 17 12:52 BST (UK) »
Sincere thanks davidqueneherve.