Author Topic: Stinson or Reilly in 1911  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stinson or Reilly in 1911
« on: Saturday 15 July 17 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi I am really not sure where to put this query ( Scotland /England) so will start it here ...for now.

I am trying to trace a family in the 1911 census. I know they had a daughter in 1910 whose birth is registered in Rotherham South Yorkshire - her name when registered at birth was Josephine Stinson. I have searched the English census for them but cannot find them.

I know from later certificates her parents are Joseph Stinson and Isabella Stinson. However this is where it gets confusing  - the family also use the name Reilly. On a marriage certificate for Josephine (1940) her parents are listed as Joseph Stinson and her mother as Isabella Stinson - formerly Reilly, nee Brannen. On his death certificate Joseph is also recorded as Joseph Reilly - formerly Stinson.
So I think I am saying Joseph was born as Joseph Stinson but appears to have assumed the name Reilly.

So I am looking for this family in 1911 - I know they have at least 1 child, a daughter called Josephine who had been born the previous year ( and registered as Stinson) .

I have found one record in on Scotland's People which shows a 1 year old Josephine Reilly but it appears to be a hospital record as it just says 'patient'.

REILLY JOSEPHINE 1911 F 1 646/2 91/ 3 Govan Lanark

Any ideas where else I can look to find her parents?
Thank you for reading!

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stinson or Reilly in 1911
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 July 17 21:00 BST (UK) »
It would be helpful if you could tell us what age Joseph was when he died, and where & when he died too. The informant on the death certificate may have got the surnames mixed up. I have found a Joseph & Isabella Brannen in the Scottish censuses for 1891 & 1901. In order to rule this couple out we need to know the approximate year of birth of your Joseph.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 July 17 21:33 BST (UK) »
Having difficulty locating a birth of a Caroline Stinson in 1910. have you definite proof of this birth?
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 July 17 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you both for your questions.
On the death certificate Joseph Riley (formally  Stinson) was 67 in 1941 so his birth was about 1874. The death was registered in Townhead Glasgow. His parents were Selina and Samuel Stinson. So by my reckoning, somewhere along the line Joseph has assumed another surname - perhaps his 'wife' was already married and so he assumed her surname?? ( wild guess in the dark!)

The birth for his daughter is on FreeBMD - Josephine ( not Caroline) Stinson 1910 Rotherham Yorks.

Thanks

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 July 17 21:57 BST (UK) »

The birth for his daughter is on FreeBMD - Josephine ( not Caroline) Stinson 1910 Rotherham Yorks.

Thanks

Sorry - having a 'senior' moment!
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 July 17 22:30 BST (UK) »
Selina & Samuel Stinson's son was born in Highgreen, Yorkshire.He is living with his parents (Selina nee Elliott married Samuel in Ashby Z. 1872) in the 1881 & 1891 censuses, his occupation is a coal miner. He is in the 1901 & 1911 censuses living with his wife, Frances & family, in South Shields.
flst 
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 July 17 22:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for details of Selina and Samuel's son. There are definite links to South Shields/ Borders towns with this family.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 July 17 23:27 BST (UK) »
Frances died in Rotherham in 1929. It appears that Josephine was illegitimate, as she was born in 1910 & Joseph & Frances were living together in the 1911 census.
flst

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 July 17 02:38 BST (UK) »
Joseph Stinson, son of Samuel Stimston married a Frances Bower 23/9/1895 Wombwell, Yorkshire.

As has been said, they were still together with all their surviving children in 1911 although clearly he had been up to no good!

No idea where Isabella and Josephine were in 1911 but under the surname Reilly Joseph and Isabella had at least 2 more children (who witnessed Josephine's first marriage) i.e.

Selina Stinson Reilly b.12/1/1913 Hamilton
Frederick Stinson Reilly b.23/12/1914 Douglas

So between 1911 England Census and 1913 Joseph Stinson made his way to Scotland where he became Joseph Reilly.   Fictitious marriage dates given on the 2 birth certificates above - on Selina's states married 14/5/1904 South Shields and on Frederick's 18/5/1894 South Shields.   They sure were creative. 

Isabella Reilly died 1/1/1938 Townhead - informant being married dau. Josephine (then Morrison).  I note that as Joseph Stinson he then married a Jeanie Gray in 1940 and then died as Joseph Reilly the following year.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk