Author Topic: Stinson or Reilly in 1911  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stinson or Reilly in 1911
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 July 17 19:52 BST (UK) »
Wow! That has really thrown some interesting information into the mix.
I will get back to you all properly once I have had a little time to check through all your findings. Thankyou all so much .. I can't wait to get started again.

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 July 17 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have now had chance to check and digest the information about this family. Although I am still not further forward with my original query about the 1911 census, what has been found is surprising and enlightening.

I agree with everything you have found, fist and Isabelw, - thankyou for pointing this all out to me. I have searched, on and off, for months to try to discover the origins of Josephine's family but had got into a loop looking for a marriage between a Brannen and  Reilly and/or a marriage between a  Stinson and  Reilly and of course there never was one!

So as I have it now Joseph Stinson had illegitimate daughter with Isabella Brannen - but must has assumed some responsibility for the child as he stated his name on her birth certificate ( despite already having a wife and several children who he still appears to be living with the year following the child's birth. The couple move to Scotland and assume the name Reilly.

Joseph and Isabella go on to have two more children  - both with the surnames Stinson Reilly.
The eldest daughter (Josephine) has both her brother and sister as witnesses at her first wedding.
Josephine also recorded on mother's death certificate ( married name Morrison)
Josephine is witness at her father's wedding in 1940.
Josephine married twice more. 

Thanks all to those who read my original post and to those who had a go - you have definitely moved this piece of research on and given me loads to think about.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 July 17 10:34 BST (UK) »
The credit for this one I all down to flst and Annette7!! Glad you have made some progress, even if it wasn't quite what you were expecting.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 July 17 11:12 BST (UK) »
Going back to my post I said 'Fictitious marriage dates given on the 2 birth certificates above - on Selina's states married 14/5/1904 South Shields and on Frederick's 18/5/1894 South Shields'.

Discovered the following after then and so the marriage date shown on Frederick's birth certificate may have actually been a valid one for Isabella herself but just not to Joseph Stinson.

Have found in marriage index on the same page:

James Reilly and Isabella Brennan - June quarter 1894 South Shields.

So, this could well be how Isabella became a Reilly in the first place.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 08:26 BST (UK) »
A massive thankyou  Annette7 not only for this latest info. but your earlier work too- this possible you mention marriage does look very likely for Isabella as I know her family lived in South Shields. It would certainly explain the reason why Joseph Stinson assumed the name Reilly as well as their children having the name Stinson Reilly. I have also noticed in Isabella's death certificate (1938 - with daughter Josephine as informant) she is just registered as Reilly.