Author Topic: BOOTH Family - Richmond, Surrey  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Len Badenhorst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BOOTH Family - Richmond, Surrey
« on: Saturday 15 July 17 19:24 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on John and Sarah Booth who were living in Richmond, Surrey in the late 1700's. They baptized several children there, only Benjamin who I am sure of in March 8, 1787
Benjamin emigrated to South Africa sometime in the 1820's. The Booth's settled in Grahamstown (Hammond's Farm) however, prior to arrival in South Africa, I have no information.

I would like to know if anyone can dig up anything on this family and their origins.

Kind regards,

Len

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BOOTH Family - Richmond, Surrey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 July 17 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Len,

Welcome to Rootschat !  ;D

You say parents of your Benjamin baptized 8 March 1787 are John & Sarah.

But looking at the actual document:
St Mary Magdalen, Richmond Surrey, baptized on 8 March 1787,
Benjamin, son of Benjamin &  Sarah Booth

Aside from clarifying his father's name, what is your evidence that this is your Benjamin's baptism? Did your Benjamin marry before going to South Africa?

Sorry for all the questions, but having a firm landing to start from is always helpful  :)

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Len Badenhorst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 July 17 02:18 BST (UK) »
Ambly,

Thank you for the speedy response. I have the following link that has a good start. http://www.1820settlers.com/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I44327&tree=master

which also points to a very legible document on familysearch.org https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSQF-X9R6-2

Not sure where I found the baptism info but looking at it again, it does look legit.

Thanks

Len

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 July 17 07:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Len,

The original death record image, it is indeed very clear (can be accessed via the settlers website link too).  What a lovely face he has, very kindly looking!

By the precise statement on the death notice , that he was aged 75 years, two months and 17 days at the time of his death on 28th April 1862, we can deduce he was born on or about, 11 February 1787.

However, my original comment stands - the death notice states his parents to be John and Sarah, not Benjamin and Sarah. The informant is a  son in law.

The 8 March 1787 Baptism of  Benjamin BOOTH in Richmond Surrey , says the  father of that child is named Benjamin, not John.  If the Baptism also included the child's date of birth and it was a match to your man, we could immediately surmise the son-in-law was in error - but the baptism does not record the birthdate.

The 8th March Baptism is agreeable to a birth on ~11th February, the place of Baptism is agreeable to the place of Birth recorded on the Death notice (Richmond Surrey). The mother's fore name is agreeable.....

....and chances are, the baptism is correct, the son-in-law was wrong - based on typical presumption that death information is often incorrect. But maybe the baptism is wrong....

....There are a number of baptisms at the same church in Richmond 1783 through to 1794, with parents John & Sarah BOOTH.  But only the one  in the same rough time frame, with parents Benjamin & Sarah BOOTH.

The other thing is, didn't always occur close to birth, they could be months or even years later, and if he wasn't regular C of E (though he probably was), that's a whole other kettle of fish.

He married Margaret Mortimer 1809 in Surrey and they had 7 children (3 in England , 4 in SA).  None of the children were named John, but there is a daughter named Sarah. Margaret his wife, died 1847.

In 1854 Benjamin remarried to a Grace BRENT, maiden name ELLIOT at Mt Pleasant, Bathurst District, Eastern Cape, South Africa.

Does the 1854 marriage state parents names?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Len Badenhorst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 July 17 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly,

Yes he does look kind; almost a Santa Claus feel about him. I am not sure who the Benjamin and Sarah couple is that you mention? Is that Benjamin perhaps a brother of John's? I did see in my research the marriage to Margaret Mortimer and Grace Elliot. However I have not seen either original documents.
Familysearch.org is a great tool for finding info even though there is a lot to wade through.

I do not know who the parents for Grace are.

Thanks

Len