Author Topic: seeking baptism and burial for JOSEPH THORN of Tower hamlet  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Karenannie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
seeking baptism and burial for JOSEPH THORN of Tower hamlet
« on: Sunday 16 July 17 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I'm hoping someone may have access to more records than I do.

I'm trying to find the baptism C 1770 and death/burial for a Joseph THORN late 1803-1809 possibly Middlesex.

I have his marriage in 1795 St.Leonards, Shoreditch, Tower Hamlet.  ( I have a copy of the parish register)

I have the baptisms of his two sons, Joseph 1803 and James August 1804, baptised at St.Mathew, Bethnal Green, Borough of Tower Hamlet.

He died between late 1803-1809 as his wife re-married in 1809 (a widow) 
His first son was transported to VDL IN 1821 and I've tracked his second son through the census records.
Quite a few people seem to have researched the same family, they don't have the 2nd marriage for joseph's wife, and they have his death in 1827. but I don't think this is him.. would it have been possible for his wife to have re-married claiming herself to be a widow?

As for his baptism, his wife was born C 1773 (census record) so I'm thinking around 1770 for Joseph.
Looking forward to peoples input on this family..
cheers
Karen

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: seeking baptism and burial for JOSEPH THORN of Tower hamlet
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 July 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
Are you certain you have the right parents?  That seems quite a gap between the 1795 marriage and the 1802 birth (1803 baptism) of Joseph, who from your post seems to be the first child. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Karenannie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 July 17 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo Mot,
              Thank you for replying.. I'm not 100% convinced it is the correct marriage.   Thank you for pointing that time frame out, I've actually had a look for baptism from 1795-1802 it shows a couple in stepney, but I don't think its the same family. nothing else for bethnal green.
The information I've started with is Joseph Thorn b C 1802 ( determined from age at death and on his gaol report) and bethnal Green as that was his native place recorded on his gaol report also.
names of his children are Charles, Ann, Daniel, Rebecca ( after her mother),Maria,josephine and Frederick. 
parents named on Josephs baptism were Joseph and Ann Thorn,  this is the only information i had to go on for their marriage, and that the son was born in bethnal green so looked in london area.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 July 17 16:13 BST (UK) »
From Joseph's baptism, Joseph Sr was a baker, and there was a Mary Thorn baptised to Joseph & Ann on 9 Sep 1 Oct 1806 (born Sep 9) at Christ Church, Spitalfields.  Joseph was a baker of Fleurdelis [Fleur de lis] Court.

These may therefore be other siblings:

20 Nov 1796 Ann d/o Joseph & Ann, Brick Lane, Pastry Cook.
11 Jul 1798 Frederick s/o Joseph & Ann, Brick lane, Shopkeeper.

These would tie in well with the marriage date, so I think you may be on the right lines after all.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 July 17 16:14 BST (UK) »
The Morning Chronicle, Wed 25 Feb 1807, carries a report of the inquest into the deaths of about 30 people crushed to death (the previous Monday) while attending a public execution at the Old Bailey. Listed amongst the dead is a -
Joseph Thorn, Fleur-de-Lys-court, Spitalfields.

Yet to spot a burial

Offline Karenannie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 July 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
Jo Mot,
           wow... thank you so much..  I can't see fathers occupation on the baptism of joseph.
        I have Joseph, son of Joseph and Ann Thorn, Born 19th?October 1802.. it looks its written the letters P O O R AT the end.. I'm looking at the London, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 for Joseph Thorn - Tower Hamlets St Matthew, Bethnal Green 1799-1803.   Is there something more detailed that can be viewed?

Hanes Teulu- Thank you for your help.. that's fantastic  as I had found a re-marriage for Ann, but couldn't find a burial, but as your place Fleur de lys court spitalfields ties in with information from Jo Mot. I think that's my man..  what a wonderful help.. Thank you.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 July 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
Brilliant spot  ;D 

An article dated 27 February 1807 says he was a pyeman aged 32 & left a widow & four children, the eldest being about 10.  Address given as No. 3 Fleur-de-Lys-court.

I can't find a burial for him either though.....

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 July 17 16:40 BST (UK) »
I can't see fathers occupation on the baptism of joseph.
        I have Joseph, son of Joseph and Ann Thorn, Born 19th?October 1802.. it looks its written the letters P O O R AT the end.. I'm looking at the London, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 for Joseph Thorn - Tower Hamlets St Matthew, Bethnal Green 1799-1803.   Is there something more detailed that can be viewed?

I think you must be looking at the Bishops Transcript - look at the one where the Register Type is Parish Register.  I think it says of MENS, which I take to be Mile End New Street, although Mile End New Town makes more sense.

Offline Karenannie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 July 17 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi again Jo Mot,  I'm using Ancestry (paid memebership) but all I seem to get is the bishops transcript even though it says Parish register..  is that what you're using?
I appreciate what you've found for me so quickly too. very impressive