Author Topic: St Oswald or St Thomas  (Read 970 times)

Offline miw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Oswald or St Thomas
« on: Sunday 16 July 17 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
Please can anyone help with this.
I have found the marriage of Humphrey Jones and Ann Taylor 25 Mar 1799 in Chester on FindMyPast and Anc, the index and transcription say the church was St. Oswald.  The P Reg does not state which parish on the pages and I couldn't see the cover on the microfilm images.  The title screen before page one of the reg on film (viewed on FindMyPast) says St Thomas.
I hope someone can work out which is correct.
Their first child was bpt St Mary on the hill and later children at St Olave so there is no clue there.
I also have a probable birth for Humphrey 1770 at St Olave.
Mary

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: St Oswald or St Thomas
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 July 17 12:08 BST (UK) »
Familysearch has it as St Oswald - both on PR & BT
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 July 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
'The south transept of Chester Cathedral served as the parish church of St Oswald parish until 1881, when St Thomas' church, erected in Parkgate Road in 1871, was enlarged and made the parish church of St Oswald. From 1948 onwards the Vicar of St Oswald was priest in charge of the church of Little St John alias St John without the Northgate, and in 1967 the two benefices were officially united to become "The united benefice of St Oswald with Little St John, Chester". In 1969 Little St John's church ceased to be used for church services when a faculty was granted confirming a lease by the owners, the City Municipal Charities Trustees, to Chester Corporation, for secular use. In 1972 the parish of Chester St. Oswald with Little St. John ceased to exist when the various Chester parishes were reorganised to form one City parish, St Thomas' church being retained as one of the parish churches in the new parish.'

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/71917446-0525-4210-acec-7f74c5537aed

Offline miw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 July 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, so if St Thomas wasn't built till 1871 it must be St Oswald (at that time within the cathedral) and I assume that registers for both were given for microfilming in one batch.