Author Topic: The Briggs family  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Debbie M Burton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The Briggs family
« on: Sunday 16 July 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, all, I'd like to get to know more about the Briggs and the Gruer/Grewer family. My dad's mum was Irene May Briggs (14/05/1909 - 15/05/1991), aged 82. My great grandparents were Robert Briggs (25/10/1861 Wansford - 22/10/1946 @ 84) and Laura Ann Gruer/Grewer (01/06/1865 Hutton Cranswick - 27/09/1938 @ 73) and they're married on the 09/06/1883 Driffield. According to Laura's mum, Mary Gruer, of Cranswick, on Aug 5, 1865 she summoned a Thomas Kirby Watson, charging him with being the father of her illegitimate child. Paternity admitted, an order for 1s 6d per week was made.
I'd really like to know the other generations from before the above families, then I'd write their names and what they did in their lives please and thanks if anyone can help, it'll be very much gratefully appreciated indeed.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Briggs family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 July 17 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi would I be correct in stating this is Laura in 1871 census?

William Grewer 75
Ann 79
Mary 26 Grandaughter
Laura 5 Grandaughter
Charles 2 Grandson
Residing South Gate, Hutton Cranswick
Census ref RG10/4806/22/13

Mary in 1851 is shown as aged 7 still with William & Ann as Grandaughter
Census ref HO107/2366/160/22

A possible birth registration for her is Mary Frances Grewer Sept qtr 1844 Driffield no mothers maiden name shown.
Keyboard86

EDIT Mary Frances Gruer married a Christopher Sissons June qtr 1872 Driffield 9d 479 in 1881 in the household is a Charles F Grewer 13 son b Cranswick
Census ref RG11/4793/22/12
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 July 17 17:40 BST (UK) »
 ??? Am I missing something, the OP would like to know who were the parents of the Gruer/Grewer/ and Briggs family prior to ( In the case of Laura Ann Grewer/Gruer?
I did not have sufficient time after my initial reply re 1871 census to assist more due to a family get together, so was surprised to find no further assistance had been offered?
Who eg were the children of William & Ann Grewer, in 1841 no obvious mother of Mary Frances in 1851 census above, in 1841, but possibly another Grandchild a David Eskritt aged 4

David Eskritt was baptised 27th November 1836 Skerne Father David Mother Frances, parents marriage David Escritt to Frances Bradshaw 15th August 1820 Skerne

An Ann Bradshaw married a William GRUEN 24th November 1821 Watton, Yorks
Keyboard86

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 July 17 20:28 BST (UK) »
OK plough on, there is a birth registration of a Charles Frederick GRUER Sept qtr 1868 Driffield 9d 263 no mothers maiden name shown, he married an Amelia Ann R Faley Dec qtr 1900 Driffield 9d 666
Keyboard86

EDIT Just who where the children of William & Ann from 1821 marriage?

I really think you need to obtain the birth certificate of Mary Frances Grewer  1844 Driffield to progress further?

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi again, an online tree suggests that Mary Frances Grewer was born 2nd July 1844 Hutton Cranswick Mother Ann who married a John Thompson looks researched?
Keyboard86

Offline Debbie M Burton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi again, an online tree suggests that Mary Frances Grewer was born 2nd July 1844 Hutton Cranswick Mother Ann who married a John Thompson looks researched?
Keyboard86

Hi, on Laura's birth cert as well as her mum Mary's there are no father's name present on both, so I don't know in great details. I know that Laura aged 16 had a baby, William, and he died @ 8 days old. Two inquests at Hutton Cranswick stated that Laura's mum was named Mary Sissons. I'd like to know about this Thomas Kirby Watson as I feel he's Laura's father please and thanks.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi again, you have done some great research re Laura, do you know the potential father of her possible brother Charles Frederick Gruer b Sept qtr 1868 Driffield?
I cannot at present locate anything re Thomas Kirby Watson, but have located the marriage of Ann ( The mother of Mary Frances:-

John Thompson 26 Father John Thompson occ Sailor
Ann GRUEL 23 Father William Gruel occ Labourer
13th December 1847 Hutton Cranswick

If Thomas Kirby Watson accepted that he was the father of Laura Ann, what will you gain from tracking him?
Keyboard86