Author Topic: Carl A. Nilsson and Ida V. Andersson  (Read 29542 times)

Offline paul5534

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carl A. Nilsson and Ida V. Andersson
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 22 July 17 14:12 BST (UK) »
I'm getting better!  Thanks for your help.  I couldn't see the mother's name....so at least I know I'm not crazy!  Thanks,  Paul
Tippett, Nankivell, Gaveregan

Offline paul5534

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 22 July 17 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian:

Can you read this?  It should be the reason for a death. 

Thanks,

Paul

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 22 July 17 22:43 BST (UK) »
I read it as "empirem pleurderiti".

I think it is some kind of pleuritis (Pleurisy).
It is in Latin.

Have you the link to the page please.

Ian

Offline paul5534

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 22 July 17 23:35 BST (UK) »
Ok. Thanks.

The link that I found on this death record had nothing written as the cause. But then I found the death record on the ancestry.com website which was a different index. That was the image that I sent.

Gustaf Robert Lindskog died 25 Aug 1905 Törnevalla. He also used Nilsson with Lindskog as his last name.

Here is the link. I believe it just says where he died but not from what.

https://app.arkivdigital.se/production/index.html?aid=v179666.b211.s16&page=main/index

Thanks, Paul

Offline paul5534

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 23 July 17 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian:

Here is the record of my great grandfather Carl (Karl) Severus Magnusson (number 55) leaving Norra Åsarp for North America on 23 Jun 1887.

https://app.arkivdigital.se/production/index.html?aid=v56057.b60&page=main/index

He was born on 5 Sep 1868 in Norra Åsarp to Magnus Josefsson and Kristina Andersdotter (both born 1840).

Carl went by the name Carl S. Bjorklund (not Magnusson) in the United States.

I have been trying for a while to connect his trip from Sweden to the US without much luck.  Since it was 1887, he probably arrived in New York at Castle Garden, not Ellis Island.  I have checked both websites but not found anything that I believe is correct.

I found a ship manifest of the Orlando leaving Gothenburg on 24 Jun 1887 to Hull.  I will attach a picture. It says Carl Bjorklund was 20 (he would have actually been 18 years old....19 in a couple months, so I'm not sure if this is the correct record or not).  It also says he was going to Grand Rapids, Michigan which might be correct.  He eventually settled in Connecticut. And it mentions Jonkopping, so not sure about that either.

He would have then sailed from Liverpool to New York, but I have had a hard time finding a passenger list that matches his name at around the right date.

Let me know if you think I'm on the right track, and if you have any suggestions. He went back to Sweden in 1909 and brought his father and sister back to the US.  I have those records as they were easy to find (and they arrived at Ellis Island).

Thanks,

Paul

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 23 July 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
My, that wasn't easy.
I had to go back to basics for that one. Anyway, I thought perhaps the guy under his name on the passenger list F. Julius Carlson was a friend and perhaps travelled together. I looked him up in Jönköping and the F. Julius left as recorded but no Carl.
So looking for Fredrik Julius passenger list was easier and low and behold Carl is with him:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVSV-L4FL - Near the bottom of the page.

His record is on Ancestry too and is listed as C. Borklund on the "City of Chester" arriving 9 July 1887.
I checked for any other Björklunds born at that time in Jönköping and there weren't any. So I am pretty sure this is your Carl. I think someone mistakenly or Carl stated that he was from Jönköping.

Ian

Offline paul5534

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 23 July 17 15:57 BST (UK) »
Ian:

Amazing!!!  How did you do that?  I must have spent 10 or 15 hours trying to piece this together, and you did it so quickly.  Thanks for sharing your thought process with me as it may help me going forward.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. Carl went on to be a very successful home builder and contractor in Bridgeport Connecticut.  Sadly, he died of liver cancer at the age of only 47. I went to see the houses he built a couple weeks ago. I had not been in Connecticut since the early 1970s, so it was long overdue.

Do you have a PayPal account? I would love to give you something as appreciation for all the work you have done for me. Let me know.

I have some more records I will need your help with, but we are getting near the end. I'm putting books together for my relatives about these ancestors, and they are so excited.

Again, thank you so much for all your incredible work.

Paul

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 23 July 17 16:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your kind gesture Paul. Cheers. But no Thank You. I do this for fun and to help others like yourself.

Just keep sending stuff. No problems.

For your interest here are 2 records for this Fredrik Julius. They may have been good friends:
Jönköpings Sofia AI:25 (1881-1889) Bild 354 / sid 351 (AID: v23208.b354.s351, NAD: SE/VALA/00171)
Jönköpings Sofia BI:2 (1877-1891) Bild 247 (AID: v34687.b247, NAD: SE/VALA/00171) - nr 187

btw - Fredrik was also a builder, a bricklayer actually.

Ian

Offline paul5534

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 23 July 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
Interesting! 

I used to think the Swedish church books were cumbersome and hard to navigate. But now I realize they are very detailed and organized and provide a lot of information if you know how to put it all together. We are lucky these books have been preserved over the years and that websites offer access to them.  And that there are people like you who help those who are less knowledgeable.

I just found the City of Chester reference for Carl on ancestry. He was listed as C. Borklund. I had always been searching with the "j". But when I just looked at the record, it's not there, I'm sure it was just an error by whoever wrote it down. But that little error has caused me hours of frustration!

Thanks again for everything.

Paul