Author Topic: Carl A. Nilsson and Ida V. Andersson  (Read 29476 times)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Carl A. Nilsson and Ida V. Andersson
« Reply #117 on: Friday 11 August 17 00:09 BST (UK) »
Cheers.

Ian

Offline paul5534

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Friday 11 August 17 01:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian:

I have a huge favor.  This is an article on Carl Augustinus Björklund, the uncle to my great grandfather Carl S. Björklund.  Could you translate the article for me?  I'd like to include it in the book that I'm making on the Björklund family. 

https://newspapers3.mnhs.org/jsp/viewer.jsp?doc_id=mnhi0011%2F1I7OTI5A%2F02121701&query1=&recoffset=0&collection_filter=All&collection_name=5f3180f0-172f-45e3-bc96-05ad29fe349a&sort_col=relevance&cnt=22&CurSearchNum=2&recOffset=0

In case the link doesn't work, I'll attach a screen shot.

Thanks,  Paul
Tippett, Nankivell, Gaveregan

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Saturday 12 August 17 09:20 BST (UK) »
Here we go:

"C.A. Björklund

We have the pleasure today, for SVEAS readers to present a picture of a Swedish business man in Bridgeport Conn. through his mechanical aptitude and energy created a respected and well known name, not just in "Park Town" but also even in many other places in Connecticut, aslo in other places, has given a warm and unselfish interest to his fellow countrymen.
Carl Augustus Björklund was born 27 June 1861 in By, Ambjörnarp Parish, Västergötland, Sweden, where, during his boyhood assisted his father in managing of the farming; during this time he worked with his woodwork as a trainee when he was off, which he continued after his arrival to USA in the industry. Mr B. worked in different places in Connecticut before arriving in Bridgeport in the autumn of 1882 where he was employed by the contractor Nettleton where he was soon noticed for his skillfulness and was entrusted with the most responsible orders. In the year 1891 since B. being employed by a number of well known contractors for 3 years, he started on his own and in doing so his company flourished. Many of Bridgeports most important buildings have been built by him and for this time being he has been the town's most active contractor. Besides Bridgeport Mr B. has even erected the Swedish Luther churches in Nangatuck and Deep RIver, Conn., also many houses here and there. Entrepreneur Björklund is one of the founders of the Swedish Luther Church in Bridgeport and has been active in the Swedish-American rep. club, and at the moment is a member in the town's welfare committee, also has been involved as treasurer within the Swedish-American rep. federation in Connecticut. B. is a member of S. and B. Svea, of which he has been treasurer since the organisation started 14 years ago, also is a member of Scandia lodge, A.O.U.W. lodge Sture nr. 7. V. O. lodge Monitor nr. 38, I.O.G.T, Business Men's Association, Bridgeport Club, Corinthian Lodge nr. 104, F.& A.M.
Entrepreneur Björklund  married miss Margaret Virgin on 7 Nov 1885 and their organisation has blessed their two children, daughter Julia and son Arthur. Their elegant residence 179 Wood Avenue being designed in a typical Scandinavian manner, and within, the Scandinavian hospitality is prevailing.
Many of the gallant deeds B. has carried out have been discrete and today many countrymen appreciate the many self sacrificial willingness and unselfishness interests he has given."

Ian

Offline paul5534

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Saturday 12 August 17 14:26 BST (UK) »
Ian:

Phenomenal work!!  Thanks so much for this.  I have found much more info on this Carl.  He retired by 57 and went back to Sweden with his wife to take care of some affairs.  Unfortunately, they both died within a year of each other at age 60 and 61.

Thanks again for this.  I know it was a long article.  I have one more request that I will send today.  Then things should be quiet for a few days.

Paul

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Saturday 12 August 17 15:23 BST (UK) »
Cheers Paul

Ian

Offline paul5534

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Saturday 12 August 17 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian:

Can you tell me where Britta Stina went in 1853 or 1854?  She was born 20 Aug 1837 in Ambjornarp (although I think some later references state Tranemo...which is the same place?).

https://app.arkivdigital.se/production/index.html?aid=v14984.b63.s58&page=main/index

There is some writing way over on the right that starts with an "E" and possibly the year 1854. I don't see her at Pjuken in the next household record book.  I checked the moving out books for 1853 and 1854 but couldn't find her.  I tried finding a farm starting with an "E" in her parish but still couldn't find her.

Here is her birth record:

https://app.arkivdigital.se/production/index.html?aid=v14968.b105.s102&page=main/index

Any thoughts?  I want to know if she got married, and also if she went to America like several of her brothers.

Thanks,

Paul

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Saturday 12 August 17 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
It says Ämteshult. It is a farm. A rough explanation: "ä" is sort of pronounced as an "e" in Swedish as in "eh" in English.

Ambjörnarp AI:11 (1850-1855) Bild 16 / sid 11 (AID: v14984.b16.s11, NAD: SE/GLA/13008)

She is the last name on the page.

Ian

Offline paul5534

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Saturday 12 August 17 21:29 BST (UK) »
So easy...now that you showed me!  Thanks for finding that.  And thanks for the explanation.

So from that record, it looks like she went to Hölte (farm?) in 1855, right?  I tried in 1855 and in the next book 1856, but I don't see her at Hölte or Ämteshult.

Do you think it is possible that she went by Britta Kristina (in other words...are Stina and Kristina and even Chrstina interchangeable?  I (and others) have found a Brita or Britta Kristina Josefsdotter living with who would be her sister Josefa Josefsdotter Bergelin in 1900 in Norra Åsarp.  She is listed as single, a piga.

https://app.arkivdigital.se/production/index.html?aid=v183029b.b440.s38&page=main/index

https://sok.riksarkivet.se/folkrakningar?Fornamn=Britta&Efternamn=Josefsdotter&DatumFran=1837&DatumTill=1837&Folk1860=false&Folk1870=true&Folk1880=true&Folk1890=true&Folk1900=true&Folk1910=true&Folk1930=true&AvanceradSok=False&page=3&postid=Folk_113108343&tab=post#tab

Then a death record for her can be found with another slight error....birth date 20 May not 20 August 1837

https://app.arkivdigital.se/production/index.html?aid=v56051.b43&page=main/index

She is the last child of Josef Björn that I am researching.  I'm done with all the others.

Thanks again for your help.  Let me know if you think I'm on the right track.

Paul

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Saturday 12 August 17 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

It actually says Slöta.

Try this: Slöta AI:11 (1880-1894) Bild 282 / sid 274 (AID: v28484.b282.s274, NAD: SE/GLA/13491)

Even though the birth month is 5 instead of an 8 I believe it to be the same. She went to Domkyrkoförsamling Göteborg.

Here is her moving out record from 1891 nr 48: Slöta BI:5 (1890-1907) Bild 8 (AID: v83197a.b8, NAD: SE/GLA/13491)

Ian