Author Topic: can someone please help me?  (Read 3808 times)

Offline Sluj_u40

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
can someone please help me?
« on: Sunday 31 July 05 16:29 BST (UK) »
I am trying to get the next generation back however, being new to researching famiy history it has been proving difficult. I know that John Michael Jordan was born in mayo in 1894 (can't even find this on any records! i found out from living relatives) I want to find out who his mother and father is. Is there anyone who knows how i can do this??

Kind regards
Sam
Nottinghamshire - Clark, Jordan
Derbyshire - Leake

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: can someone please help me?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Sam - Irish civil records start from 1864  i.e. births/marriages/deaths (Church of Ireland marriages only from 1845) so you could apply for a birth certificate. It may be difficult if you don't know the parents or place. Give as much info as possible e.g. religion,dates etc. You can e-mail first if you have any questions. Each cert is 6-98 euros(I send 7 euros in cash). If you definitely know it is Mayo it can be quicker to apply to the local office. I've attached the link.  Click on 'Research' .Also click on 'Fees' then scroll to the bottom for a list of local offices. I find everyone very helpful at the GRO and in the Registrar's office in Mayo.
Try this link for the Leitrim-Roscommon database. Select 1901 census - then scroll to the bottom and click on 1901 census- then select Mayo and input surname only(Jordan). - then submit This should bring up all the Jordans in Mayo in 1901. Your ancestor may be in one of the households if he was there then. If not you may get an idea of where he might have been from.

http://www.groireland.ie/research.htm

http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/index.shtml

Hope this helps

Regards

Neptune
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sluj_u40

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 22:38 BST (UK) »
thanks for the information but he actually emmigrated to england by 1901. Thats why its difficult cos thats the only thing i have to go on. Is there any other way I can do it without spending money? If there isn't then I'll apply for the birth certificate.

Kind regards
Sam
Nottinghamshire - Clark, Jordan
Derbyshire - Leake

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 August 05 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi  Sam - I don't think there are many on-line Irish records that would help. If your ancestor was in England by the end of March 1901 he should be on the 1901 census. You can check the name index for free but if you want to check who he was living with there is a charge.If you did this you may get his parents etc. Also you could search the marriages on the 'Free BMD'- if you found his marriage and sent for the certificate you would get his father's name(again there is a charge for the certificate).

There are some local on-line BMD(births/marriages/deaths) sites too which may be of some help depending on where John lived.

If he was in Ireland when the census was taken in 1901 - I think the  Irish 1901 census is available to research at  your local Family History Centres(Latter Day Saints).

Here's another link for you  (some Mayo records)

Regards

Neptune

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 August 05 21:41 BST (UK) »