Author Topic: levison gower two sons who died in war must be 1st ww or prior  (Read 532 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
levison gower two sons who died in war must be 1st ww or prior
« on: Sunday 16 July 17 19:14 BST (UK) »
names not sure of thought one was probably john same as my great grandad the father was in scots greys' he was chf of the scots greys and the highlanders
my grandfsther was in the 2nd ww. received a medal for being there which i hold in his memory, safe, never to be lost or given up.again the scots greys family connection to horses use ro be profound.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: levison gower two sons who died in war must be 1st ww or prior
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 July 17 00:13 BST (UK) »
If they died in WW1 then they will be mentioned on www.cwgc.org

If they died prior to WW1 then their deaths will be on Scotlands People if they died in Scotland

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/search-our-records
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: levison gower two sons who died in war must be 1st ww or prior
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 July 17 08:27 BST (UK) »
George Sutherland-Leveson-Gower (note spelling) 5th Duke of Sutherland served in the Scots Greys and the Seaforth Highlanders before the Great War and in the Royal Navy Reserve in the war.  He was Honorary Colonel of the 5th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders from 1914 which could be where "chf of the scots grey and the highlanders" comes from?  This sounds to me as if he is the father Marcie refers to.

Hiowever, his marriage to Eileen in 1912 did not produced any children.   There are no Leveson (or Levison Gowers) in the WW2 dead.  (There are three in WW!, two Coldstream Guards officers and a Canadian probably from some other branch of the family).

The 4th Duke of Sutherland 1851 to 1913 had two sons, the 5th Duke above and Lord Alistair who died in 1921.

Not clear I'm afraid who we are looking for.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia