Author Topic: Baptism lookup Jane and Catherine Green, Bocking Essex 1790's  (Read 1525 times)

Offline ohbodder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism lookup Jane and Catherine Green, Bocking Essex 1790's
« on: Sunday 16 July 17 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
If anyone has access to Bocking, Essex baptism records could they lookup possible baptisms for Jane Green and Catherine Green around 1790's.  Death records indicate they could both have been born around 1793.  I'm hoping they may be sisters which could help remove a brick wall. Jane ended up in Birmingham and was my 4xgreat grandmother.  Catherine seems to have lived all her life in Bocking and Braintree and died unmarried.  At the moment I have nothing to link them other than they were both from Bocking and both called Green.

Thank you

Rob Hancock
Hancock, Hatton (Birmingham), Price and Fisher (Gloucestershire), Cyphas (Oxfordshire), Ensor and Morrow (Coventry), Fieldhouse (Uttoxeter)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism lookup Jane and Catherine Green, Bocking Essex 1790's
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 July 17 11:06 BST (UK) »
hi rob
have looked in bocking bpts book and cant find either of them from 1775-1800 , is the catherines death you mention that of 1865 in Braintree ? , I have found a Catherine bpt 18 may 1783 leyton dad john mum sarah and a jane bpt 5 sept 1792 shelley dad john mum jane ? , any more ideas from you which may help the search would be appreciated .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 July 17 12:43 BST (UK) »
Is Jane, Jane Rowley born c 1791 Bocking, in 1851 Census?

Trees have her dying 1852 but that Jane is too young, Birmingham one is age 1 and Alston Jane is age 48.

This appears to be the correct death reg to me;
ROWLEY, JANE, age 66***** 
GRO Reference: 1859  S Quarter in BIRMINGHAM  Volume 06D  Page 67
So birth c 1793

So the Jane GREEN christened 5 September 1792, Shelley, Essex to JOHN/JANE may be yours.

According to Genuki page on Shelley, Bocking is 17 miles NE of Shelley

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ohbodder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 July 17 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Trevor and Trish,

Jane is Jane Rowley b Bocking in the 1851 census, I can't find her in the 1841 census.
I can't find any evidence that her maiden name was Green, other than other people's trees, which may be based on the fact that her eldest daughter was Elizabeth GREEN Rowley.  I haven't found any evidence of her marriage to Samuel Rowley, though as he was a soldier and the eldest daughter seems to have been born in Ceylon, the marriage could have taken place anywhere.
I too think Jane's death is 1859 age 66, which would put her birth around 1793, roughly in line with the 1851 census.

I only made the connection with Catherine as I was looking for other Greens born in Bocking around the same time as Jane.  I don't know if they are related, I was hoping they would both show up in the baptism records with the same parents.

(to Trevor) Yes, the Catherine I'm looking at died 1865 in Braintree, she is in the 1841,1851 and 1861 censuses.  An 1783 baptism is probably too early for her.

The Shelley baptism is worth looking at, though I wonder why both Jane and Catherine are recorded in censuses as being born in Bocking, rather than Shelley.
Interestingly it appears a Jane Green (mother of the Shelley baptism?) was still alive and living in Shelley with her son Samuel (b1806) in the 1851 census, so potential for more investigation there.

Thanks for your input so far.

Rob
Hancock, Hatton (Birmingham), Price and Fisher (Gloucestershire), Cyphas (Oxfordshire), Ensor and Morrow (Coventry), Fieldhouse (Uttoxeter)

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 July 17 18:21 BST (UK) »
At Bocking
Jane Porter born 13th December, 1791 and baptised 15th February, 1792, daughter of James and Lucy.

Marriage
Samuel Rowley
Jane Porter
22nd July, 1811
Witnesses
Henry Hadds
T Diamond
Ashford Kent.

Also at Bocking
James Porter
Lucy French
both single, by banns
16th October, 1785
Witnesses
William Rogers
Henry Gentry (parish clerk)

Other children to above
Elizabeth born Feb 5th and baptised Sep 21st, 1786
William born October 2nd and baptised Oct 25th, 1787
James born Sep 2nd and baptised Sep 18th, 1789
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ohbodder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 July 17 19:09 BST (UK) »
At Bocking
Jane Porter born 13th December, 1791 and baptised 15th February, 1792, daughter of James and Lucy.....

Hi suffolk*sue,

Wow, that's all a bit unexpected but everything fits, even the marriage in Ashford, as there was an army garrison there and Samuel was a soldier until sometime in the 1820's. 
So it looks like Catherine was a red herring and indeed Jane being a Green that all the trees I've seen on ancestry have as Jane's name.
Have you researched this family before or did you find all this info today?

Lots for me to look into now.

Thank you very much

Rob

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 July 17 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob
Found it all today, deduction really, noted down all the Jane's baptised from about 1790 to 96 and then looked for a matching marriage, luck really.

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 July 17 19:40 BST (UK) »
Couple of possible in Bocking.

James Porter born 5th August and baptised 25th August, 1765, son of John and Mary.

Lucy French born 26th December, 1765 and bap 6th January, 1766, bastard daughter of Mary.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 12:17 BST (UK) »
Wow ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)