Author Topic: Passenger Records for a voyage between Calcutta and London (via Cape Town)  (Read 2303 times)

Offline The Historian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello,

Hopefully someone can help with the following:

I am looking for the passenger list for particular voyage between Calcutta and London (via Cape Town) on the Duke of Northumberland.

I know this ship left Calcutta on the 28 February 1837, arrived at Cape Town 24 April 1837, left 4 May 1837 (Source The Asiatic Journal 1837) and arrived at Gravesend on 27 June 1837 (Source Lloyds List 30 June 1837).

In the Government Gazette for the Cape of Good Hope 1837 it lists the following:

Duke of Northumberland, ship, R, McCarthy, from Calcutta Feb, 28 for this Port and London. Cargo, sundries - Passengers for the Cape. Major, Mrs and Miss Debahaw, and Capt. and Mrs Hughes; for Englan, Meads, Chester and Knyvett, Major Bell, Capts. Brown and Chester, Messrs Fraser, Campbell, Iselin, McClure, Roussac and Son, Falconer, 5 children and 6 servants; 42 discharged soldiers, 1 woman, and 4 children

Barradalles, Thompson & Pillans, Agents.

I Believe that my 4 x Great Grandfather John Hurrell (may be recorded as Harrold) and Susannah Hurrell (may be recorded as Harrold) are on this ship.

John was a discharged soldier and Susannah would have been one of the 4 children.

It would be great if these records survive that this can be proved.

If anyone has any information that may assist it would be very much appreciated.

Best regards

The Historian